Pages

Friday, December 9, 2016

Love the Skin you're in

I'm pretty sure most of you would agree that as women, we are our own worse critic's.  I ran my final event for the year last Sunday & it took a while for me to decide whether or not to purchase any of the formal event pictures.  I am usually very supportive of other women/people & try to promote positive body imagery, yet when I saw the pictures the first thing I saw were negatives.



Instead of seeing air, OMG I GOT AIR!!! Or the smile on my face, all I saw was hips/thighs, the bit of a belly roll that has crept on of late & less firm arms than they were.  I really had to give myself a bit of a talking to: seriously - those hips & thighs have run 3 marathons.  Yes 3.  What bloody svelte model has run 3 marathons?? And if you do know of any, please don't tell me LOL.  Yes, I know I am pretty lean anyway, but I've been leaner, fitter & faster.

I am not barbie.  I don't want to be plastic.  I want to be real, authentic & I do want to love the skin I'm in.  Sure, I'd like to have my flatter belly back & my arms a little more toned & my hips/thighs a little smaller, but you know what; I could if I wanted to.  I could train 10 times harder than I do now, I could not each chocolate every day.  I could not drink wine, eat pizza etc etc.  But I also want to live & enjoy my life.

So.  Get on board people.  It's time to stop being so critical of yourself.  Sure, being a healthy weight is something we should all strive towards, but we also need to love ourselves no matter what & enjoy the life we have been given.  

Peace, Love & Dune Buggies my friends!!

8 comments:

Blue Grumpster said...

You are not... Barbie? Wait a minute! Then who have I been talking to all these years? ;)

Have a grrrrrreat weekend!

Carol said...

Bloody hell Cat, I don't know what you're seeing, cause I see a really healthy fit looking runner who looks strong and confident and has a really cool pony tail flying in the wind!! You are rocking those short tights!

But yes in an effort to embrace my body, I have just bought some running shorts (I asked for them a bit longer) from Runamok and they arrived today and yes I have wobbly big knees and I will never make a model ... but ... even Mike said I looked good in them. Yay for Mike.

You look awesome, so glad you bought the race photo, it's a winner.

Luna Jane said...

Yes carol is completely right You look incredible there and the "swoosh" of your pony just makes you look so on point haha! and like you said you have run 3!!!! Marathons! That is definitely something that most people cannot say they have done or will ever do. SO you definitely deserve to enjoy some pizza and chocolate and wine :) That really is an awesome race photo :) Xxx

AlleyCat said...

hahaha Thanks Blue. I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world!!!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Carol & Luna - I guess that's the whole point - if I saw someone else looking like that I would only think positive thoughts, yet my first thoughts of myself were negative.

I didn't actually notice my swhoosy pony tail until you both pointed it out LOL!

Glad you got some shorts Carol! They are much cooler to run in! I've tried a few different ones - so far they've all climbed & given me chafe tween my thighs! These ones stay put thank goodness & no body glide required!!!

Pizza, chocolate & wine were indeed my reward Luna! You know me well :-) :-) :-)

Blue Grumpster said...

Happy New Year! A little bird told me this bound to be a good one.

Blue

Luna Jane said...

Haha I'll send you some Icelandic chocolate!! Oh. My. God. Its amazing! Although I hear belgium is the place for chocolate..... might have to send you some tasters :P or bring some back :)

Blue Grumpster said...

Oh no... Now I keep hearing that song!