Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2015

November Run Update

Holy Toledo time is just zooming by!  How did it get to be December & how did I not blog about the 2 events I ran in November??

On Saturday night I ran the Afterglow Twilight Trail Run half marathon distance with my mate Cath.  Actually, it was she who asked me if I was interested in doing it.  As I said in my last post, this run was to hold a lot of firsts for me - first trail, night, with another person the whole way & without tunes. There was another unwanted first - feeling very unwell for the last 6kms & having to lay down at the end (or pass out &/or vomit).

Back to the run.  We were bussed out to Point Addis, given a race briefing & set off around 7.15pm to run back to Torquay.  The trail was well marked & there really was no chance we'd get lost.  The highlight for me (other than finishing)  was stopping to see an Echidna waddle across the trail at the 6km mark.  So. Damn. Cute.  

Neither of us wore our head lamps (a requirement to run), as by the time it was dark enough, we were in a bunch of runners who lit the way for us.  Plus it was cumbersome.  We were back in Torquay at the 15km mark, then had to run out of town on the beach 3.5kms up over the dunes & then back into town to the finishing line.  

I was feeling quite unwell as we hit the beach & if I hadn't been running with Cath I suspect I may have just lay down for a while & not completed the run.  My breathing was somewhat laboured & I felt like I wanted to puke.  BUT.  I trudged along & completed the run - couldn't let my buddy down - although I did slow her down significantly, as she's a much faster runner than I am.  From the outset her plan was to run with me & to just have a bit of fun.  True to her word she stuck with me & we ran over the finish line together.




I managed the walk back to our accommodation, just, without passing out or puking, had a shower with my head between my knees & made it to bed where I stayed until morning.  Had a temperature when I got home, so suspect I was fighting some sort of virus.  We went back over what I'd eaten & hydration etc in the car on the way home & all was fine, so I guess that must have been it.  

I would recommend the run & hope to do it again next year.  The event website said to add approximately 20 minutes to your road time for a trail run & that was pretty accurate - we came in at 2hrs 16 mins 54 seconds - pace 6.22.  There were times the trail was bottlenecked due to runners; I conked out on the 2nd hill & had to walk the middle section (with a few others); there were stairs & short sandy sections asides the last slog up the beach.  But the scenery is spectacular.  It's the Otway ranges/great ocean road territory - very special.  



The other event I ran was City 2 Sea in Melbourne - from the MCG to St Kilda, following the Run Melb/Melb Marathon Routes down St Kilda road & around Albert Park Lake.  My on line running coach bought a mob down from Brisbane so I was "the other" Lazy Runner & completed this one in 1 hr 17mins 15 seconds offical pace of 5.08 although my watch said 5.12.  Either way that's a cracking pace for me & a PB as I haven't raced this distance before!!!




Above - waiting in the starting chute; below completed!




Not sure I'd do this event again due to same route as the other big Melbourne runs (unless I skip the other two next year).  For the price I wouldn't mind a change of scenery!!!  

Met up with a mate afterwards who'd also done the run, but managed to be in the last starting chute instead of with me, so I spent the whole run telling myself to giddy up or Janey will overtake you!!!  Thanks for the motivation mate!  Had a well deserved Coffee, obligatory glass of bubbles & a big eggie breaky before we both had to head home to domestic chores!!!!




6 comments:

Char said...

The end of your trail run sounded miserable. You really need to do it again next year so you have a better memory of it. And way to go at the City to Sea. That's a cracking pace!

Carol said...

Goodness the trail run did sound miserable, bravo to your friend Cath. So how did you find it not running with music. I've been running (music) naked for a while now and quite enjoying it. Only very rare do I put music on now. I think I'm soaking in more of what I'm doing without the music, who knows. Anyway, it sounds like it was a great run, apart from being sick.

As for City to Sea I agree, I do like the event as both times I've done it I've done it for pure fun with friends, and that's what it's about for me. But yes, following the same route so close to Melbourne is a bit blah. If it wasn't for running with friends both years, I'd skip a year. It was actually my dad's birthday this year so in a way I was running for him this year.

I'm entered into the new Bellarine Sunset run in February, you thinking of coming down for that one? Finishes at Portarlington. And the bling that I've seen online is absolutely phenomenal sensational. So soooooo pretty.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Char! I will indeed pencil it in again for next year & better memories!!!

Carol - running without music wasn't too bad! I have to admit sometimes when I run I'm that much in the zone I couldn't tell you what I'd been listening too!! But I love my tunes & don't think running without especially at distance will be come a regular thing!! Glad you were able to run for your Dad this year - I think having that kind of purpose makes up for a less interesting or repetitive course.

I'll have a look at the Bellarine run - I've just drawn up my GORM training program so will have to see what works in with that!!! I do like the smaller events, & the scenery usually lovely! And the entry fee a bit easier on the hip pocket!!! Are you doing any of the sufferfest events? I have a friend who is looking at coming down with her daughter, but I have 25km to run that weekend so will be support person & do my own run if it happens!!

Blue Grumpster said...

Vomit? Say it ain't so at your show! What... 3.5kms up over the dunes> Over the dunes? Don't you know dunes were made for a bit of um... I'm-not-doing-anything-but-lying-here-all-spread-eagled-um-ly? No? How come? And you had a temperature too?

We need to talk.

Step 1: We need a bar of chocolate or a cup of hot coco.
Step 2: Practice your spread-eagledness skills (Yes, that's a word).
Step 3: Inhale. Exhale.

There.... Feeling better yet?

AlleyCat said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh that's better!!!
Thanks Blue!!!
Dont mind if I do.
Have a cuppa or two
Spread-eagled in the dunes
listening to tunes
Inhale, exhale
Listen for the next wave
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blue Grumpster said...

I love the sound of those waves!