Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Age Run Melbourne Wrap


Despite my worry about the weather forecast for the run & the reinstatement of the words "hail & 40km per hr winds" back into said report, Sunday dawned rain & wind free!  It had rained heavily during the night but I didn't sleep too badly considering.  

As a runners world magazine subscriber I was lucky enough to be invited to the Runners World VIP tent where you can check in your bag to them (instead of Fed square where they are out in the open) & partake in free coffee, snacks, massages after your event + receiving a show bag.

I had arranged to meet up with 2 friends who were running the event; one had planned on running with me as we were similar pace, but time & technology were against us & I headed to the starting line as she was checking her dry clothes in (lucky I didn't run with her as she came in almost 8 minutes ahead of me!!)

I felt calm before the start & was chatting with other runners & tried to keep warm leaving my jumper on til the last minute (all clothing left at the start line was donated to charity).  Finally we were off.  I started my watch & cranked up the tunes.  I'm currently running with a shuffle & am enjoying the randomness of the tunes.  First up was a cover by Courtney Barnett - Hoodoo Guru's: Everybody Moves (sung with Dave Faulkner) - a Aussie band's tune, sung by a Melbourne chick while running past Finders Street Station (main train station) - no hail & a light breeze - I was grinning from ear to ear thinking about what a lovely morning for a run it was & how happy I was to be alive & a Melbournian!!




The route went like this & all as well until around 15kms in when my right knee started with the stabbing knife like pain. Arghhhh.  This made me pretty upset & I was worried I was going to have to stop & walk.  I tried to relax my body, as ITB pain is caused by the tightening of this band of fibre & just kept going.  The pain did subside & I managed to make it through with a sub 5 minute last km.  Overall pace was 5.33, finishing time was 1hr 57 minutes 56 seconds.  No PB - need 5.29 pace to achieve that!!  Maybe in September :-)

Caught up with first friend after the run for coffee, then we decided to have a glass of champers to celebrate as we'd defrosted by then, + Transport Bar had opened & her kids had discovered the ping pong table!  Missed friend number 2 by 20 minutes - she thought I'd have been long gone (me looking at sub 2 hours & she around 4 hours having not done a lot of training for the event & having lots of planned walk breaks).  Next time.  I didn't take any pictures & there were only 2 official ones which weren't much chop.  I have only the dodgy one Plumbing Boy took at home before I left.....I am loving those leopard skin tights (way better than skins or TXU's I recon to run in - they are Running Bare brand)!!!



Came home & had a lovely long Epsom salts bath, rolled, stretched, donned the recovery skins & spent the rest of the day pottering about the house doing domestic chores & making home made PIZZA.  Yes grumpy cat - there was pizza involved & it was delicious!!!

All in all the event was well organised, there was plenty of entertainment on the course & not as many bottle necks as the last time I ran it - maybe I'm just getting a little more relaxed at events & able to enjoy them a bit more!!!!  The only downside is the cold - I really struggle pre & post event to keep warm/warm up.  The medals aren't as good as the October Medibank event, but hey, a medal is a medal & I'm not going to complain.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the hot pink head band that was in my show bag though LOL!  Any takers??

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hey hey, just catching up. Yes you had a great day to run, so surprising with all the forecast leading up to it. Wow and that's so worth it to subscribe to Runners World just for that VIP tent, is that for all races? Like will they be at Melbourne Marathon too?

So did you find out more about the knee pain? Or has it completely just disappeared now? Should we worry?

As for your tights, I wear Running Bare a lot now, although mine are plain black with a little bit of colour on a few of them. I really like them, plus they come up a bit higher on the waist for me, so much more comfy.

Congrats on a great run.

AlleyCat said...

Hi Carol, I'm not sure RE runners world - the July run Melb is the only event I've been offered the VIP invite too. Best event for when you don't have a jumper holder - walked straight into a warm tent, got a hot coffee & my bag (with warm dry jumper) straight away!!!

Knee pain is from my ITB & I've had it off & on for a few years. Interestingly I ran yesterday's half in my old Kayano's with no knee pain!! They have 600kms on them & need replacing, but have more stability than the Nike's. It flared up during marathon training once I hit 30+ & has taken a while to subside so I'm thinking I will stick to the Kayano's for over 10km distance & see if that helps!!! Ordered a new pair on line just now :-)

Yes, I like the higher band too on the running bare tights & my spibelt doesn't ride up on them unlike the skins/txu's!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!