Wednesday, April 15, 2015

GORM Training Update Week 15/20


Great Ocean Road Marathon Training Week 15: 6/4 - 12/4

Run 1: Monday AM 5km normal pace : 5.30
Run 2: Wednesday AM 5km normal pace : 5.30 
Run 3: Saturday 17kms slow & steady : 5.34 pace

Other: PT x 2

Feeling: cautiously optimistic

Saw my Physio Wednesday night RE knee pain from the previous weekend.  He confirmed it was coming from a very tight knee joint caused by a very tight Iliotibial band.  He poked, prodded, rubbed & dug his elbow into all the tight knotty gristly spots (OUCH!!!) followed by an ice pack with the Tens machine & instructions to keep up the ice (ongoing) & anti inflams until Sunday morning.  

Running coach had suggested having another crack at the 30kms on Saturday, but on advice from Physio, we all decided to stick to the scheduled 17km for this weekend, drop the failed 30km altogether & proceed with the scheduled 32 - 34 next weekend.  Eeeek.

Was in the country for my Dad's belated birthday & to catch up with my niece who had been on a school trip to Indonesia for 2 weeks (had to see the photo's & hear more about the trip!!!).  17kms was therefore done on the local rail trail between Illowa & Koroit, with lots of cows & birds.  It was a beautiful clear morning, although a little chilly.  I didn't take my long sleeve top off until around the 10km mark.  My mind was clear of stress with thoughts just floating in & out like clouds - the perfect run (in my opinion!).  Quite a fast pace too for me - would have run both a half & full marathon PB if I'd maintained that pace LOL!

I wore my new sneakers which were so comfortable!  Hardly noticed they were on my feet!!  I've had them for 2 weeks now & had run 3 x 5kms & 1 x 7km in them before Saturday.  I think they will be my GORM shoes as they are lighter than the Kayano's.  Introducing the LunarGlide 6!!  




I went back to The Running Company Geelong & once again received most excellent service & advice - could not more highly recommend them!!!  They only had one colour in store, so blue it was.  I'm already looking forward to choosing another colour for the next pair :-) 

Pulled up OK after the run, although was still on the anti inflammatories, so the test will come this week with a 5km & a 7km before attempting the 32 - 34km this coming Saturday, with a follow up visit with the Physio on Wednesday (tonight).

I'll leave you with a few more photo's of my weekend....









My PT shared some Greek Easter treats on Monday night....


And the previous couple of weekends before I got to hang out with friends & their kitties, as well as my own :-)





Hope you are all having a good week.  5 weeks to go til the Marathon.  Holy Toledo Batman!!!!!!

2 comments:

Chris H said...

I love the colour of your new sneakers, I can't imagine why you would ever want another colour! lol
OMG at that cake.
And kinda cute... cats. From a NON cat person that is saying something. lol

AlleyCat said...

hahaha yes they are in your fave colour aren't they Chris :-)

yeah, cute kitties!!!!