Friday, April 10, 2015

GORM Training Update Week 14/20


Great Ocean Road Marathon Training Week 14: 30/3 - 5/4

Run 1: Monday AM 5km Normal - pace 5.26
Run 2: Wednesday AM 5km fast - pace 5.08
Run 3: Friday 30kms - fail 21.57kms pace 6.04

Other: PT Monday & Thursday

Feeling: Deflated

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually.  By this time in training for the last marathon I was icing my knee, to ensure the ITB knee pain was kept at bay.  I was only saying to my PT this week that I was surprised at how well I'd transitioned to hill running & that my knee had been really good.

We did a heavy weight leg session Monday night (double leg press, single leg press, Bulgarian split squat body weight, Bulgarian split squat with kettle bell) rendering me unable to walk properly for the rest of the week.  In hind sight, I guess we should have not gone so heavy on the weights.  We think that probably tightened up all my leg muscles including the ITB.

I prepared for the 30km run regardless & set off bright & early.  It took 5kms for my fingers to defrost!  I've been running along the river through park land & it really is quite beautiful.  Lots of bird life & you can smell the eucalyptus from the gum trees in some locations, as well as fennel from the wild (weed) fennel growing.  I had planned on packing a couple of anti inflammatory tables for the run, just in case.  At the 17km the pain started & I realised I'd forgotten the tablets.

There are 2 x convenient places to bail on that run - I stopped & walked the last 200 metres towards the first, trying to decide whether or not to push on or call for help.  I decided that as this run was about getting the kms on my legs, not pace, that I'd try to push on & try to find a pace that worked for me.  At the 21km mark I realised that it was futile & that the longer I ran with that pain, the longer it would take to recover from it & the smart thing to do would be to stop running & start treating it.

I called plumbing boy who thankfully was not off dirt biking.  I still had to walk 1km to get to the road, which was OK on my knee; we decided coffee was the most important thing at that very minute so found an open drive through before driving to the start point to pick up my car.  

Spent the rest of the weekend taking anti inflammatory & icing my knee in prep for the physio appointment I already had booked for next week.  I hope that I can knock the inflammation on the head pronto as I'm 6 weeks out from the event now & can't really afford to be off schedule!!!!

Rest of Easter was spent catching up with family & friends.  Don't think I ate a single hot crossed bun (not really a fan - give me a decent fruit loaf any day!!) & only 2 Easter eggs that I immediately regretted............should have stuck to my Lindt balls.  Life is too short to eat crap chocolate!!!!!!

4 comments:

C said...

Injuries are so frustrating!!! Sounds like you did the right thing by stopping and resting, no point making it worse. I hope the physio appointment helped.

xxoo

AlleyCat said...

Thanks C! Yes, I'm on the mend with 17kms done without pain on Saturday! Will be having a crack at 32 - 34 this weekend eek.

How is your poor foot/heel???? xo

C said...

Glad to hear that you're doing better this week!

I'm working on treatment for my heel at the moment too, new orthotics and physio program and started to introduce some gentle walking into my routine. I feel so excited to be able to walk a little, especially at this gorgeous time of year when I can walk and look at the beautiful autumn colours, makes such a positive difference to your life. :)

AlleyCat said...

That's great news C!!!!! Yes, the autumnal colours are just beautiful aren't they :-) I know what you mean about making a positive difference LOL!!