Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

GORM Training Update Week 12/20


Great Ocean Road Marathon Training Week 12: 16/3 - 22/3

Run 1: Tuesday AM 7kms : pace 5.16
Run 2: Thursday AM 5km : fast - no idea - forgot watch (& key, thus locking myself out of the house at stupid O'clock!)
Run 3: Saturday 28kms : pace 5.43

Other: PT x 2; boot camp x 1

Feeling: Sad

A friend died last week after a 6 year battle with brain cancer.  The funeral is tomorrow.  It's so so sad & really, just shit.  I wasn't going to fund raise for the GORM, but am thinking about doing some fundraising for CureBrainCancer & regardless will be dedicating this marathon to Yvette.

Training has gone well this week despite having a heavy heart.  I found out that the GORM doesn't allow personal fuel to be left at the hydration stations & they've yet to announce what the official sports drink will be.  I've been training with my tailwind again so will therefore have to carry what I need as I don't think Plumbing Boy will be able to position himself strategically along the course this time.  

The mountain range inhibit's their being an easy parallel route between the towns we are running between.  Although I am sure that he could manage it on his dirt bike, but then I'd have to travel back to the accommodation on the dirt bike after then run..........ah, sorry, no thanks!!!

I have a hydration belt which I used in training for the last marathon, but it gives me bruises & I really don't fancy running 44kms in it.  After reading up on them, I purchased an Astral Ultraspire hydration vest.  This model is designed to fit women & I had high hopes.  Thankfully it went pretty well on the long run.  No chafing & very comfortable.  One of the straps needed adjusting when I got back as one of the shoulder straps started to get lose about 20km in & probably due to the tube pulling on it.

I found it quite awkward to suck the liquid up while running & have actually switched the hose with my hiking camel pack.  Thankfully they were compatible.  The vest came complete with a bladder & hose; hopefully the mouth piece on my other one works better.  Trying to breath & drink is always a bit of a challenge.  Either of them will be fine for the day: I'm wanting the easiest option though!!!

I checked my long run timetable this morning & I only have 3 x more really long runs to do before the event (each week alternates with a lower km long run).  The end is in sight!!

7 comments:

C said...

I'm so sorry to hear this devastating news. I'll be thinking of you and PB this week and hope you are coping as best you can. I'm sure your friend's family would appreciate your fundraising in her name.

xxoo

AlleyCat said...

Thanks C. xoxo

Memphis Steve said...

OK, first of all, the name of this race is long and hard to say. I just wanted to throw that out there. Secondly, when you have graduated to running with a hydration belt you are a SUPER SERIOUS runner! Holy cow, look how far you have come! And me still plodding along on a treadmill.

Memphis Steve said...

One last thing I forgot to say - I had a friend die of brain cancer a few years back. Well, several years back now, I guess. I blogged about it. Its a terrible thing. I know they talk like its a battle and all, but everyone I knew who ever came down with it died, so I guess I feel like no one ever survives it. I know that isn't true, but it sure seems like it. I'm sorry you lost your friend. I truly know how that feels.

AlleyCat said...

Thank you Steve - brain cancer survival rates are virtually nil so you are correct in your assumption.

LOL the race name is a bit bloodly long isn't it. You should google great ocean road - it's pretty famous down under. Hydration belt or not, I still feel like a bit of a beginner!!!!!! But thanks :-) :-) :-)

Blue Grumpster said...

You locked yourself out of the house at stupid O'clock... Say it ain't so. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. What can I say? My father died the exact same way, but this is not about me. My condolences.

Blue

AlleyCat said...

Lucky for me Blue that Plumbing Boy was home & able to let me back in!!! Not sure how happy he was at getting out of bed to do so :-)

Thank you & condolences to you for your father. It's such a horrible disease. Our friend would have been 40 in July.