Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

Training Update 1st - 7th December


Monday: PM Run 1: 5km on new treadmill at gym - didn't time, just wanted to check them out (treadies that is)!  Chest, shoulders, back; calf raises; core.

Tuesday: PM PT Xband walks, walking lunges, light weighted front & back squats + goblet squats 10 of each x 3 sets; stretch

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: PM PT Outdoor session - green band crab walks 15 steps up & x 3; boxing with sprints inbetween x 3 sets; body weight walking lunges x 20 up & back; 360 lunges x 5 sets; stretch

Friday: AM Run 2: 5.9kms 27mins 26sec pace 5.42

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Run 3 - 21.1km Sussan Womens Fun Run

So last weeks training was reasonably light in prep for the fun run on Sunday to prevent muscle fatigue.  It rained all night Saturday night & was still raining when I got up at 4.45am Sunday morning after a fairly crap 6 hour sleep.  I love my sleep & usually need 8 or more hours to feel human!!!

While the run didn't start til 7.30am, the roads were closing at 6.30am so if I wanted a park within a 20 minute walk, I had to be there before 6.30am, hence the abnormally early start!!!  It was a women's only fun run by Sussan, a women's clothing brand in conjuction with BCNA to raise money & awareness for breast cancer.

I scored a free park on the Beaconsfield Parade 5 minutes walk from the starting line so put the seat back & snoozed til 7am.  It was still drizzling as I headed for the starting line.  Last bathroom stop then checked in a dry jumper & a damp wind breaker as late as I could before entering the starting chute with the other cold damp runners to await the starting gun.  I was hoping for a Personal Best on this run, as my marathon pace is now better than the pace I ran my last half at. 

Eventually we were off & my hands & feet defrosted after around 5kms.  I was making good time, but realized I was probably going to have to take a pee stop.  I've never had to do this at an event & usually have my timing down pat!!!

While I didn't consume any more liquid that I normally do (half a cup of tea with my muffin & 500ml of tailwind on the way to the event), I guess I would normally have finished the run but the time that liquid had made its way through, but the earlier start & having to be at the event so much earlier took its toll.  Lesson learned for next time!!!

I held off til the 14km mark as I was getting quite uncomfortable, but as I was on well on target for a PB, I stopped (42 seconds!!!) & was back on course starting to make up that time.  Still drizzling.  Everything went well until the 19km mark when the distance markers all started going a bit haywire.  By the time my Garmin clocked 21.1kms the finish line was nowhere in sight & I'd only just passed the 20km marker.  WTF??  

I started getting a bit anxious & frustrated & quite cranky as I made my way through the park following 3 runners who were abreast & trying to dodge puddles just like me, but were running slower than me & there was no way to pass them!  

I eventually crossed the finish line at 1 hour 59mins 58sec.  The Garmin said I'd run 21.68kms.  I was cold, wet, spent (having picked up the pace for the last 2kms to 5mins 11sec - final average pace was 5mins 32sec) & disappointed with my time, so headed for the bag check after being handed a finishers medal & a tube of yogurt.

Had to look around for water - there was a mobile drinking trough, so took my fill then got my dry jumper on.  I didn't wait around for the presentations, just wanted a hot coffee & to get back to my car & more dry clothes & the heater!!!  
Luckily for me the walkers had just about finished as I got to my car & by the time I managed to peel off the wet bottoms & drag the dry ones on with frozen fingers, the traffic management people were re-opening that section of road so I was able to leave almost 2 hours before I had thought I would be able to!!!  Yay for that.

Despite having the heater on flat out for the 40 minute drive home, my lips & face were still blue when I got home!!!  Plumbing boy pressure washed my shoes (very muddy!!) & I jumped straight into a hot epsom salts bath.  I only got out of it an hour & a half later because I was starving hungry!!!!!

The next day I was looking on the FB page of the event & noticed quite a few people commenting that the course was much longer than 21.1kms.  Some people said it was 22kms according to their GPS's.  I decided to email the event organisers after getting my official result from the website & ask the actual course distance. 

My Garmin was with in 2 seconds & a couple of metres for the marathon earlier in the year & according to my average pace on the day that it recorded, I should have easily PB'd. The maths just didn't make sense so I thought it was worth asking the question.

I received an email straight away from their office advising that the timing coordinator would get back to me shortly. I'm still waiting a week later.  I did however call their office yesterday & was advised unofficially that it was approximately 1/2km over & that my Garmin distance sounded pretty close (the timing coordinator was out of the office).

I'm going with my Garmin which clocks me at 1 hour 56 minutes & 11 seconds at the 21.1km mark giving me a PB of 1 minute 47 seconds better than my last half marathon including the 42 second pee stop!!!!  I'm really not fussed that the course was longer, I just wanted to KNOW!!! 

Apparently the error was in the little extra loop to make up the 1.1km - the 10km runners didn't have to run this section; we had to run 2 laps with the extra loop both times.  It was all for a good cause & the cold & wet is almost a distant memory.  

Sorry there are no photo's off the day - I was too cold & wet.  Here is my bling snapped today!!






2 comments:

Blue Grumpster said...

You'd only (only, really?) just passed the 20km marker...

I need to go back to the gym. I used to be Rambo, now I'm... well, not.

AlleyCat said...

hahaha. Well. Hello Rambo!!