Friday, November 28, 2014

Training Update

It's been a while since I updated on exercise.  I've been training since the marathon, but not as seriously as pre-marathon.  

Week 1 post marathon - I had my 2 x usual PT sessions, but they were light & involved a lot of stretching to help speed up recovery & we focused on a lot of stretching.  I also did a 5km run on the treadmill as recommended by my running coach & it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be.

Week 2 post marathon - 2 x PT sessions, 1 x 5km treadmill & 1 x 10km outdoor run.

Week 3 post marathon - 2 x PT sessions, 1 x 7km Hill run, 1 x 6.5km  medium paced run & 1 x 12km hilly run with stairs (Coogee - Bondi).  Was almost back to normal, but then we went away.

Week 4 post marathon (on holidays) - 1 x 4km hill run + 3km flat run, 1 x 7.5km beach run, 1 x pilates class, 1 x 40min leg session & 1 x 40 minute upper body session (weights session were with my cousin, qualified PT & her mate who's also a PT, done in her mates gym in 30 degree heat & no aircon - & they tried to kill me!!!!)

Week 5 post marathon - 2 x PT sessions, 2 x own gym sessions, 5 km run, 21.1km run

Week 6 post marathon - 2 x PT sessions, 1 x 7km hill run, 1 x 5km fast pace (PB!!!!), 1 x 15km run

Nutrition has been good during the week, but not so good on weekends - the silly season has already started for me & I've had too many late nights & too many alcoholic beverages!!!! I've put on a couple of kgs since the marathon & my belly is feeling bloated so it's time to get my act together & start behaving a little more like an athlete which according to my PT I am...............challenge accepted.

I had a body composition scan done last week. I'm just in the athlete/low body fat %, with 19.6% body fat & weighed 59.4kg without shoes.  Last time my PT did my measurements & body fat % manually with callipers pre marathon I was 15.94% & 57.4kg with shoes.  This morning (on my new electronic scales) I was 56.6kg (no shoes post run).  




Here I am - clearly orange is the fat (I have no yellow which is good as that is "higher % fat"), red is the muscle tissue & blue is bone.  My weight is in the normal category.



Age
Women (% fat)
Men (% fat)
20-39 yrs Essential
8-12
3-5
Low/athletic
13-20
6-7
Recommended
21-32
8-19
Overfat
Obese
33-38
39
20-24
25

40-59 yrs Essential

8-12

3-5
Low/athletic
13-22
6-10
Recommended
23-33
11-21
Overfat 
Obese
34-39
40
22-27
28

60-79 yrs Essential

8-12

3-5
Low/athletic
13-23
6-12
Recommended
24-35
13-24
Overfat 
Obese
36-41
42
25-29
30

The scan guy said I need to set some body composition goals & repeat the scan in 12 weeks.  He recommended not losing more than 2% body fat & that I was in great nick for my age. 

Looks like more squats will be on the agenda............


2 comments:

Blue Grumpster said...

Well, what do you know... a body composition scan. Don't show this to my wife or she'll have me have one done, too. I'm all muscles, you know...

AlleyCat said...

yes, a bit scary seeing seeing all your lard coloured up like that! Ahem I mean muscles.....