Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Marathon Training Week 15/21



Don't forget  I'm fundraising for Beyond Blue - secure donations gratefully accepted here

This weeks training looked like this:

Monday: PT - Bulgarian split squats body weight + weighted, weighted glute bridges, floor glute-ham raises, kettle bell swings; stretching, foam rolling

Tuesday: PM Run 1: 10km - 10km pace 55mins 39 sec pace 5mins 33 seconds
PM Usual shoulder & glute activation work + core, chest & back

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: AM Run 2: 5km - 5km pace 25mins 42 sec pace 5mins 8sec

PM PT - 8 mins AMRAP's (as many reps as possible) 10 x front squats, 5 x explosive box step ups each leg, 10 x jumping lunges; theraband side lunges; theraband sleigh runs. Stretching & foam rolling.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: AM Run 3: 28kms - 2 hrs 41 mins pace 5mins 46 sec

Sunday: Rest

I had first aid training on Tuesday which finished early so was able to get out & do my 10km in the beautiful sunshine!!!  Now that the days are getting longer it's OK to run locally after work.  I don't like to run on the road in the afternoon/evening as there is generally too much traffic & the close enough bike/walking tracks aren't really safe (or busy enough to be safe) unless its daylight..



It was the anniversary of our dear friend Chris's passing this week.  He is one of my motivators for beyondblue fund raising.  I can't believe it has been 5 years already.  He used to take his dog Eric down to the doggie beaches around Altona to run & frolic.  Now that my distance is long enough I run past this beach & imagine Eric running along side me & Chris (he was not a runner) cheering me on from his afterlife.  I'm sure he would have offered up a number of tunes to run too, so this week has been dedicated to him.

The long run was the longest yet & really good!!  It was a sensational morning & I spotted 90 doggies running/walking/playing!!!  Counting (& remembering what number I'm up to) gives me something to think about while I'm running.



Other than having a stiff neck (had been getting progressively worse during the week) my body held up well & my time was really good!!!  Legs felt fabulous the next day!!  Neck however was cactus - woke up Sunday morning (after having to sleep (doze) sitting upright on the couch with pillows holding my head & neck up because it was too painful to lay on my back or side with a wry neck.  A couple of physio treatments later & I'm getting there.  If I had 5% movement Sunday morning I've got 80% back today although still sore & stiff in the top range.  To give an example, I had to stand on a chair to hang out the laundry as I couldn't tip my head back or up on Sunday to see the clothes line!!!

I had my sister, niece & cousin visit & stay Saturday night & we had a lovely girls night in with home made pizza, chocolate ice cream, berries & wine watching a girly movie!  Plumbing Boy was off on a club dirt bike riding weekend.





Was lovely to catch up with my peeps :-)

2 super long runs left now before the marathon (6 weeks to go). I have 16km this Saturday, then 30 - 32 the following, then a shorter one, then 32 - 36, then a shorter one, then the Marathon itself.  I'm thinking I can do this!!!


6 comments:

Memphis Steve said...

All I can really say to this is, I went running, mowed the grass, hung sheetrock and got badly sunburned. I can't really compare with your workouts. You're a pro athlete now.

AlleyCat said...

I had to google sheetrock!!! Plaster :-) - that's a work out in itself LOL.

I think I'm a long way of a pro athlete mate. but thank you!!

Sunscreen my friend!!!!!!!!! hope its not to painful!!!!!

C said...

Your thoughts on the passing of your friend Chris really brought a tear to my eye. I am sure his family would be grateful that you honour his life and memory so well.

You are doing amazing work for beyond blue and I am so proud of you.

Clarissa.

xxoo

AlleyCat said...

Thank you so much Clarissa. Your support means more than you know.

xoxoxo

Carol said...

I'm a bit behind on the blog reading, so working backwards, so I hope by the time I get to the latest posts that your neck is a lot better. Running for your friend Chris, you are bloody awesome, you know that, I'm sure he is cheering you on, and when the times get tough during the marathon, you remember that, okay.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Carol!! I will :-)