Monday, June 16, 2014

Marathon Training Week 4/21



This weeks training looked like this:

Monday: AM PT - circuit - Basketball drills, lunges, farmers walks, sprints

Tuesday: PM Usual shoulder & glute activation work + core, chest & back

Wednesday: PM Run 1: Speed Session 5kms  excluding 1/2 km warm up - run 2.5kms as fast as possible, 2.5kms normal pace. total 25.48 mins  12.10 & 13.24 respective splits

Thursday: PM PT - Squats - weighted & body weight focusing on technique.

Friday: AM Run 2 - 5km - 2.5kms normal, then 2.5kms as fast as possible. 25.50 mins 12.99 & 12.51 respective splits

Saturday: AM 15kms 89 mins

Sunday: Rest

I think I mentioned last week that my sports watch broke.  It was still recording the total time, but as soon as I hit save, the workout was gone!!!  This also meant that I couldn't access any of the split times I'd run over the past couple of weeks.  It was driving me a bit bonkers.  I've restored the factory settings & took the battery out for a while & put it back in to see if that helped, but no joy.  It was a mid range Timex Ironman ladies watch, without GPS.

Hmmmm you can see where I'm going with this can't you!!!  After using I can't remember what first, then Runtastic on my phone to record distance (which is quite inaccurate - I run the same routes regularly & seems to register a different distance every week) + my watch to record the time & splits, I really really wanted a device that would do both.

I know you can probably do both on your phone using various apps, but I like to strap my phone to the small of my back using a Spibelt - mainly for safety.  I want my hands free & don't want to have to touch my phone once I set off.  Usually I walk first to warm up then set my watch going when I actually start running, so the phone doesn't work in that respect.




Introducing the Garmin 620............

I've been researching for months & like everything there are good & bad points for every device on the market.  Eventually I decided on this Garmin.  There were better colour selections in the 220, but less functionality.  

I've used it twice now & have managed to upload the runs to the web - pretty straight forward.  Just getting used to the buttons & touch screen.  The underside of the strap is bright orange - matches my shoes.  For now.  

That's the next stop.  Headed to Geelong Saturday afternoon to visit friends for an 18th birthday party via the Geelong Running Company to get fitted for new shoes!!  More on that later!!!! 

No comments: