Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Race Report

Sorry for the wait!!  I've been on annual leave for a week with my Sis & family & got a bit side tracked!  

I was lucky enough to spot Carol just before we started & bravely introduced myself & wished her luck.  Then we were off.

Official time:

Finish Time
01:57:58.0
Overall :488 / 743
Gender :180 / 366
Categ :46 / 107











My watch was a little faster, but that's neither here nor there.  Was completely stoked with the time, but that ITB right knee pain flared up between the 5th & 6th km as I went out to fast & I almost pulled out of the run altogether at that point.  I calmed down a bit & the pain eased off but I did have to nurse it through the rest of the run.  

I settled into the groove & managed the run without too much mental anguish, other than the intermittent knee pain.  Before I knew it I'd reached the half way mark, then the count down was on til the end.  I saved my last spurt of speed & sprinted down the finishing chute & over the finish line.  Collected my apple, water bottle & a gym towel (instead of a medal!) & found Plumbing Boy who I had spotted before the finish when he yelled out & cheered me on.

Stretched, smashed my water & the protein drink I'd left with PB & rugged up (you'll see me on Carol's blog in 2 jumpers & a beanie).  PB took off to go meet his dirt bike riding mates & go for a ride while I hung about cheering the rest of the finishers over the line.  I wanted to see Carol finish her first 1/2 Marathon & congratulate here & yes, Carol, I did walk back towards the bridge to find you & figured walking would help me keep warm :-)

I waited until the last person crossed the finish line, then went to find Carol, had a quick chat then hit the road for the 2.5 hour drive down to see my family.  I wore my skins home & to bed that night & woke up feeling pretty good.  Kept them on most of Monday too as well as having a massage followed by a sauna & spa at one of the local day spa's as a bit of a post run treat.  Took a couple of anti inflammatory tablets post race as well as hitting the foam roller so I guess all that helped with the post race soreness & I was able to go for a 5km run yesterday without knee pain.

I really enjoyed this event, being smaller was a good thing & everyone was so encouraging of the runners no matter where they came in the run.  I would be more than happy to make this an annual event on my run calender, so thank you to all of those involved in the organisation of the event.  I'll leave you with a couple of post run pic's...........the smile says it all!!







8 comments:

Carol said...

You are amazing, not only an incredible time, but you did wait for me to plod my way down the last kilometre!! Goodness. I really appreciate that little run with me, you have no idea how much I appreciated that. So great to meet you!!

Love the smile, it certainly does say it all. Hope the knee is okay, and well, do I dare say, see you next year? ;-)

AlleyCat said...

haha thanks Carol - I loved that it was the sort of event where you COULD jump onto the course & run with people at the end!!!

Yes, was awesome to meet you too & yes, I do dare say we will both be there next year :-)

Memphis Steve said...

I sympathize with the knee pain. I've been having trouble with that myself. The faster I go, the worse it is. Your race time is amazing. You have come such a long way. Look how fast you are now!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks so much Steve!!! Bummer about your knee.........:-(

Jeremy Heath said...

Sorry to hear about your knee but I'm sending good vibes your way! And congrats on our finish... way to rock it! Smaller races can sometimes be a nice step back from all the chaos surrounding the larger ones.

Also, shameless plug here... you should write up a small race review on http://bibrave.com/ It helps the races, and helps to boost your own blog. It's like Yelp, but for races! :)

Good luck on recovery! And Happy Running!

Jeremy Heath said...

Sorry to hear about your knee but I'm sending good vibes your way! And congrats on our finish... way to rock it! Smaller races can sometimes be a nice step back from all the chaos surrounding the larger ones.

Also, shameless plug here... you should write up a small race review on http://bibrave.com/ It helps the races, and helps to boost your own blog. It's like Yelp, but for races! :)

Good luck on recovery! And Happy Running!

AlleyCat said...

Hey thanks Jeremy!! I'm back into it already & I'll go check out bibrave.com :-)

Matilda Iglesias said...

I did this race last year, I thought about doing it this year, but decided against it.
I must have been the only crazy thought to put my feet/legs in the river.
Great time, it's a great course, I really enjoyed this event, and by the looks of it you did too.