Thursday, April 17, 2014

I may just be Crazy

If you've been reading here for a while, you'll know I'm just about to run my 2nd Half Marathon.  The PT who encouraged (pushed) me to do the first one also told me to get thinking about the full marathon when he bid me farewell last year for another job too far from where I work/live to warrant me following him.

I made a deal with myself that if I managed this half without the awful ITB pain I had running the first half marathon, that I'd give a full marathon a go.  This thought has been plaguing me for weeks now as the 2nd half marathon draws closer.  I think this is what has been making me freak out a bit at the 16km ish mark of the last couple of long runs.  That. Big. Bloody. Decision.

In my head I'm going, "you cant even make this distance with out wanting to stop & walk, how do you think you're going to manage a full marathon" etc etc etc.

This morning while out on my regular Wednesday morning run, I decided that if I was going to find the courage to do the marathon, that I really needed a coach to support me.  

When I was training for the first half marathon, Craig (PT) would have me tell him the long run distance I was to be running that weekend prior, & then he'd ask me to text him post run with the exact distance, the time it took & any issues I'd had.  He'd respond with the appropriate 
encouragement, & usually stretching instructions for the rest of the weekend.

Mike my current PT isn't into running & thinks I'm a bit mad, but has been working very hard with me to strengthen my glutes to overcome the ITB pain & my body overall to make me a better runner.  But he's not that interested, that he's invited me to do with him, what I did with Craig.  

The point is, neither of them were/are paid to be my support person outside of the PT sessions & while I do text Mike to complain how sore my legs are, that is mainly for his entertainment!!  Hence me deciding I needed a coach if I was going to commit.  

I utilized Shauna & Julia @ Up & Running to coach me for my first 10km, but decided I really wanted someone local for this distance.  I'd been looking on & off for a while, but nothing I'd read on line inspired me until I revisited Lazy Runner looking for a local referral.  I started reading about Lazy Runner's coaching style & other information on the website & found myself nodding along with a lot of what was there.

Then I read this story about about good self talk/bad self talk made contact with Lazy Runner.  You see, the Dazza character in the story could have been written about me!!  I felt like she'd been rummaging around in my head & taken all my stressed out thoughts about whether I could summon up the courage to even try!!! Who would have thought other people would have the same (paranoid) thoughts as I do (except the concern about the banana shortage)!!!  

As it turns out we have a little in common.  The Melbourne Marathon was her first marathon & she recommends this or the gold coast (I think?) as a good first marathon to start with.  She hails from the western districts of Victoria, as do I & despite the fact that she is based in Qld, she runs running workshops in Melbourne (& Adelaide).

To cut the rest of the story short I signed up not only for the Melbourne Marathon yesterday, I signed up with Lazy Runner to coach me through it.  

CONGRATULATIONS Cat!

YOUR BIB NUMBER IS: 1917

I will be doing some fund raising for this event. More details on that & of course training details to follow!!!!  

Wish Me Luck!!!!!

11 comments:

Cinders said...

woohoo - you did it. I'm really proud of you and you will be awesome!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Mate!!!!!

Carol said...

Oh my gosh ... EPIC!! I will look forward to following your journey.

Carol / www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Well done :) You really are inspirational!!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Carol!!!

AlleyCat said...

Awwwww Thanks Wanna!!!!!!!!!

Memphis Steve said...

I don't think I could ever do a half marathon, but I admire you for doing several of them.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Steve :-)

AlleyCat said...

PS Steve - do you want a Liebster nomination??? Wasn't sure you'd be keen...........

Matilda Iglesias said...

Oh wow you have signed up for a full. How exciting.
I have no interest or desire to run a full.
I have decided however to do a 30km trail race next year. Yeah I'm planning that far in advance.
I too have heard that Melb and GC are good 1st timer marathons. But I've also heard that Melb is very busy and can be hard to get a pb (if it's your 2nd time, however considering this is your first time, anything will be a pb).
Good luck, and I look forward to reading about your training.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Matilda!!

I ran my first 1/2 at the event last year & yes it was pretty busy & after doing the Geelong 1/2 I think I prefer the smaller crowd!! I think they capped the 1/2 at 10,000 last year - they dont cap the full, but I think was somewhere between 4,000 & 5,000 last year so shouldn't be as bad as the 1/2 traffic!!!

As you said, PB won't be relevant this time as it's my first :-) I'm just aiming to finish it - my main goal is to run the whole way without stopping.