Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Fond Farewell

Feeling the love at gym last week was rather short lived after finding out Friday afternoon that my lovely personal trainer is moving on having taken an awesome job in a fancy pants gym on the other side of town.  One with its own private beach!!  I can't blame him; plus he's only 4kms from home now.  The transit to my side of town every day must have been a drainer.

I admit I was quite devastated & am still a little sad as I have well enjoyed our training sessions.  I don't think I've ever dreaded a single session - I knew they would always be hard work, but I was always happy to go & give it my best shot.  

I had the lofty goal of hiking the Black Cat Track this year & not be the weakest link - I certainly smashed that one out of the ball park with his help.  But more than that, I don't think I would ever have committed to doing the 1/2 marathon without his encouragement & belief in me that I could do it.  

I still have family & friends who say - "that's too far to run", "you'll hurt your knees" etc, in addition to "don't lose any more weight now, you're too skinny", "look at you, you're all skin & bones, you need to eat more".  I also have friends & family who compliment me on my hard work & remind me I'm doing a good job.  But it's always the doubters & the negative comments that fuck with your mind.

Anyhoo.  My point is I am so much stronger now - not just physically, but mentally too, than I was 9 months ago.  I feel like I am in control of my life, like I am in the drivers seat for a change instead of being in the passenger seat & going wherever life takes me, & I am so so thankful to him for that.  I know I pay him & it's his job to get me results, but I'm not sure he realizes the flow on effect that has had such a profound impact upon me.

I had my last session with him last night & his protege shadowed the session with the view of taking me on for a for a few sessions to see how we fit.  True to form it was particularly challenging, but with lots of laughs along the way about how unfit I am (joking) & my general (lack of) co-ordination skills (not so joking!).  I hope the new guy is OK - I am trying to be open to change, but he has awfully big shoes to fill (physically & metaphorically speaking).

So I wish you a fond farewell & all the best with your new job & life ahead without us bogan westies to keep you entertained.  You will be missed mate.

8 comments:

Memphis Steve said...

Oh Lord, you gave me a heart attack! I thought you were saying a fond farewell to your blog. Lord almighty, don't do that to me!

I'm sorry to hear that you're losing your trainer. Someone who gives you the proper encouragement can be invaluable. I know that the rest is important, too, knowing what to advise you to do and all, but I have spent most of my life with absolutely no encouragement and I can tell you from the few times I did get good encouragement, it'll really makes a difference.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're losing him, but I'm glad we're not losing you.

AlleyCat said...

LOL sorry to have given you a heart attack!!!!

AlleyCat said...

PS & thank you. as long as you keep reading I'll keep blogging, OK?? Deal??

Georgia said...

Good luck with the transition to a new trainer and awesome work on all you've accomplished over the last year - fantastic!
On another note, where on earth is this fancy pants gym with private beach?!?! Melbourne??

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Georgia! Brighton.....LOL!

http://brightonbathshealthclub.com.au

Georgia said...

I should have guessed... ;)

Chris H said...

I hope the new trainer is working out?
And if your 'old' trainer is only a few miles away, why don't you follow him to the new gym?

AlleyCat said...

I so would have followed my old PT to his new gym if it wasn't going to take me 60 - 90 minutes to get there, 45 - 60 to get home - that takes into account peak hour traffic on the way there & ordinary traffic on the way home (+ I hazard a guess at a $1,000-00 membership fee............it's a swanky place!!) My current gym is 2kms from work/home. Just cant justify the travel time or additional expense......

My old trainer sorted me a very attractive extension on my current membership for bugger all $$$

New trainer is not so bad, flogged me last night & worked up a very decent sweat. Hopefully we can build a good relationship.........