Monday, October 7, 2013

1/2 Marathon Training - Week 8 Update

Week 8: 30th September - 6th October

Mon: PT evening
Tues: Rest
Wed: 8km road morning (forgot watch, no time)
Thurs: PT evening + 8km treadmill (didn't record time but on pace)
Fri: Rest
Sat: 15km Treadmill (didn't bother with time - slow)
Sun: Rest

Tuesday morning's run was postponed til Wednesday because of the shite weather we've been having.  It was blowing a gale & pouring with rain when my alarm went off at 4.40am, so I rolled over & went back to sleep.

Wednesday morning saw me running with sore knees at around 5kms & a sharp stabbing pain in the right one about 500m from home that almost made me stop running altogether.  Insert sad & frustrated face.  As soon as I got home I grabbed a texta & drew on my knees to show where the pain was & took a couple of photos.

I had physio session for my shoulder that night & wanted to be able to show the physio exactly where the pain was.  Last time I had a bit of a knee issue I saw his offsider who complained I wasn't specific enough in telling him where the pain was, so promised next time to draw it onto my knee/knees for him (or anyone else who needed to know).



Outcome was as I'd suspected (after consulting Mr Google).  I have tight ITB - the Iliotibial band is a thick band of fascia extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip & down to the outside of the knee.  When it tightens up it can cause pain to the outside of the knee.  You can read more here if you like. 



I've been icing 3 times a day except for yesterday as I was out & about & today it would seem I've forgotten.  Best I get onto that.  I've also been on the foam roller.  Insert suitable curse words because rolling on that band of muscle/fascia or what ever you want to call it bloody well hurts.  I guess that means it is tight.

Physio wasn't overly worried as it's only just started over the past couple of weeks with the longer distances.  He's a runner himself & has been involved in my current training plan as I've been seeing him for the bicep tendinitis for most of it & we usually chat running while he's working on the bicep/shoulder.

On that front, we had significant improvement last week after going back to 4 days of anti inflammatory's & ice 3 times per day.  I pretty much have full range of motion, but there is still one test he does that causes pain, although on a scale of 1 - 10 it's around a 3 - compared to the 8 it started with.  We are both hoping this could be the last week of treatment......

So physio said I was OK to Thursday nights 8km on the treadmill as it would be a bit easier on my knees & I can control the speed.  He said usually running faster eases the pain.  He said if I got through that to give the 15km a go on the road, but be sensible.

The 8km after a 30 minute PT session wasn't too bad.  I remember way back when I started with Craig in February - I tried to do a 5km hill run after a session which was nigh on impossible.  He really does his best to exhaust me in those 30 minutes.  It might not sound like a long time, but it's bloody intense.  I made it through the 8kms & even managed to increase the speed over the last 4kms & worked up to a sprint in the last km.  My overall fitness has increased massively!!!  Knees were a bit sore & achey afterwards, but not to bad.

Saturday morning was cold & windy yet again.  I am so over this weather!!!  Being a sook I decided to do the 15kms on the tready - hey, I've done all the other big runs outside & I'm feeling nervous about my knees!!!  

I forgot my gym treadmills automatically stop after 60 minutes & almost fell off just shy of 10kms!!  Had to crank it up again for the last 5kms to finished off the run & was probably just under 15kms, but that's OK.    I'd hit reset/restart on the tready before I registered the actual distance at 60 mins.  I was slow but it was more about getting the kms on my legs & maintaining a reasonable distance as I'd begun to taper.

That was my last hard week.  The actual run is this coming Sunday.  I have 2 x 3 - 5kms scheduled for this week as well as my usual 2 x PT sessions.  I find out on Thursday if I actually have a place otherwise I'll be doing the 10km only.

I am hopeful for a place; I just hope I can overcome the ITB tightness before Sunday & run the distance.  

At this stage I'm setting 3 goals:

A good run: will be to finish without having to walk due to said knee pain.

A great run: will be to finish without knee pain maintain my current pace of 6 mins per km (finish time of 2 hours & 6 minutes)

A brilliant run: will be anything better than a great run!!!

The above help stop me doing my head in worrying about knees & times & the rest - that said, the long range forecast is for a top of 17 degrees C - wind & rain!!  It would seem my desire for a warm still day aint gonna happen.






2 comments:

Cinders said...

Awesome training :) Have a great run on Sunday and I think we should now organise a date to catch up.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Cinders & yes indeed we do need to catch up!!!