Monday, September 30, 2013

1/2 Marathon Training Update - Week 7

Week 7: 23/9 - 29/9/13

Mon: PT evening
Tues: 7.5kms morning 43.03mins = 5.73
Wed: Rest
Thurs: PT evening + 7.5kms treadmill (didn't record time)
Fri: Rest
Sat: 21kms test run
Sun: Rest

It looks like my PT sessions have permanently changed from Tuesday to Monday, leaving me with a bit of a gap on Wednesdays.  There are no group fitness classes I like that night so might have to take up cycling.  Maybe next week :0)

Had to do Thursday's run on the treadmill due to inclement weather!  Alarm went off at 4.40am & it was belting down........I quite like running in the rain, but not that sort of rain.  Plus the weather forecast for Saturday was not great so while I would have run in the rain on Saturday I didn't want to do it twice this week.  That's just asking for Man Flu.

So.  It was blowing a gale as predicted Saturday morning, but other than a couple of spots of rain as I arrived, I didn't get wet (other than sweat!!).  According to the Bureau of Meteorology the max wind gust on the day was 70kms per hour at 10.35am & was west to southwesterly.  I did actually curse out loud at the wind at one point with around 2kms to go, running directly in to the wind & felt like I was running on the spot.  I recon I could have power walked faster than I was running.

I made the distance & ran the whole way.  Total distance run was 21.68kms time was 2 hrs, 10 mins, 18 seconds = exactly 6mins per km.  Slowest km apparently was the first @ 7.28 mins ??? I know I need to warm up but that's a bit ridiculous!  Fastest was 15th km @ 5.41mins.  I felt like I was running at walking pace for the last couple of kms due to the wind, kms 19, 20 & 21 were 5.51mins, 6.19mins & 6.29mins respectively.

All in all it was pretty good.  My knees were sore by the end, the left in particular was not happy about stairs for the next 24 - 48 hours.  I felt good for the first half & kept my head space fairly positive.  I had a nice tail wind mostly between 10 & 15kms, then into the head wind for the last 6kms.  That & my knees were doing my head in.  But.  I ran the whole way & didn't walk at all.  I think it took me a hour or so after I finished for the happy endorphin's to kick in.  It's hard to be happy when you knees hurt!!!

I guess until I've actually got a place in the event & then actually run it (the event) that sense of achievement wont kick in properly.  I'm quietly chuffed that I did it & I have put the charm on my bracelet.  I did tell my PT that if it's that windy on race day I won't be getting out of bed!!!!!!






4 comments:

Emile Buttocks said...

5.73?? You are FLYING!!! Holy running roos! I should just stop posting my runs. I'm barely faster than a speed walker at my present pace. You're doing remarkably well. I'm apparently doing the opposite, steadily slowing down year after year as I accumulate injuries.

AlleyCat said...

I can't sustain that speed over distance though :0(

I'll be having another crack at 10kms in 50 minutes or under in Jan - see how we go.

I'm averaging 6mins a km for the longer distance

But thank you!!!

Hope your injuries just bugger off!!!!!

Georgia said...

Amazing work! I also went for a jog on Saturday and the weather was totally crackers. Was rained on twice (with a sunny interlude in between) and the wind was just awful! Really fabulous that you managed to stick it out.
Also, love the charm bracelet in your previous post - what a cool idea! :)

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Georgia!!

Wasn't that wind just horrid!!! Well done to you to for braving it too!!!

Yeah, I'm lovin' the charms :0)