Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Biceps Tendinitis

As my trainer says, you still have legs!!  And they've been copping an absolute flogging over the past 5 weeks.  I'm now in my 6th week of no upper body work out due to a Biceps Tendon issue.  I've been seeing a Physio now for 2 weeks who says I have inflammation of the Biceps tendon which may or may not be tendinitis.

Treatment has involved 3 days of strong anti inflammatories & 15 minutes of icing 3 times per day.  Plus twice weekly phyiso visits where he does a few tests, then sticks his fingers into places that feel quite unpleasant around my shoulder & armpit (read massages) followed by laying back for 10 minutes with a Tens machine stuck to my shoulder with an & ice pack on top.

I asked him exactly what the Tens machine does to which he laughed & replied "Magic" before explaining that it gives electrical pulses which stimulate the nerve promoting recovery & repair.  

It is slowly getting better, but I am impatient & it seems to be soooooooo slow!!!!!!!!!  One more week before I can start back with the upper body stuff he said yesterday.

All that work I was doing towards doing pull ups I'd imagine will have dissipated & I'll have to start over.  Plus my push up ability will have declined.  Who would have thought I'd be upset by not being able to do a push up??  More than anything I'm frustrated at the strength I will have lost :0( 

One of my cousins told me on the weekend that my shoulders/arms look bony to which I flexed my arms & said NO I HAVE MUSCLE DEFINITION.  Well, maybe not as much as I did 5 weeks ago.  Sigh.  

6 comments:

DOG3OY said...

go the guns :)

AlleyCat said...

HA! my guns are being iced as we speak (well, one of them!)

Have you disabled the comments on your blog?? They seem to have disappeared....

Cinders said...

Aww, thats a horrible injury. Hopefully you'll soon be over it.
We ended up buying a tens machine from the chemist because of Nicks back. In the meantime, happy running :)

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Cinders!! Poor Nick!!!

Memphis Steve said...

I hate tendinitis with a passion! I had a problem for awhile where if I did too many sets of curls my arm would get about halfway up and then stick. If I kept pulling it'd pop, like a ligament was stuck and then popped over a joint or something. Hurts like hell whenever it does that. Of course, I haven't been in the gym for months and months so I obviously haven't done any curls in just as long. I hope you heal up fast and get back to it. I know the discouraged feeling of working hard for all that progress only to see it piss away while you're hurt.

AlleyCat said...

That sounds painful Steve!!!

I'm getting more & more frustrated with it I must say - it was looking good last week, but had a very sleepless night last night with as bad pain as I've had to date. The physio assured me this morning it was just because all the other muscles had tighten up around the area in protest...........