Friday, April 26, 2013

5 On A Friday

5 things I am thankful for this week...........

1. ANZAC Day.  Who doesn't love a public holiday?

2. ANZAC's.  I'm not going to expand on this other than to say I have lots of conflicting thoughts about the whole concept of war & soldiers & conscription & & &

3. For the opportunity to be going on our trip to PNG to stand where my Grandpa stood as an ANZAC.

4. For the opportunity to visit Grandpa's brother Tom's grave in PNG.  Something I've not given much thought to until recently.  It's something my Dad is really looking forward to as it was something he never expected to be able to do in his lifetime.  I get a little teary thinking about it now.  That he sacrificed his life; that neither my Dad nor the rest of our family had the chance to meet him & get to know him.

5. That my Grandpa came back from the war.  For the opportunity to have had him (& Grandma) in my life for over 30 years, to get to know him; to call him friend.

3 comments:

Memphis Steve said...

I keep trying to copy this idea, 5 things I'm grateful for, and when I sit down to write it I'm like "OK, Im thankful for ... uh ... um .... shit, my life sucks."

AlleyCat said...

:0(

I think I'll run out of things soon.......

Memphis Steve said...

Maybe, maybe not. But at least you have things and you appreciate what you have. :-)