Friday, March 1, 2013

Blog Award!!!




Thanks to Ute & FML for giving me this blog award!!  I am so not deserving right now as I've been a very slack blogger!!!!

This means I am supposed to write 15 things about me.  I'm not sure I can even think of 15 things I haven't already blogged before, but I'll give it a crack!

1. I used to sing as a kid, in public.  Mainly in Primary School.  My dad plays guitar (& banjo & mandolin & is currently singing in a mens group called the tin shed singers) & he used to accompany me & do some some harmony in the chorus at local concerts.  I even made the local paper one year, picture & all.  I think the largest concert was 300 hundred people?  How many people does a country hall hold???  I'd like to get back into singing, in maybe a modern sort of gospel choir?  The only times I sing these days is when I've had a bit to much to drink & if I can find a bathroom with great acoustics after said drinks I'll sing my heart out for you!  It makes my soul sing & I could use more of that if you know what I mean.

2. At one said concert, just before I went on stage I sliced open my foot on a gardening tool one of the previous acts had left it laying around like the klutz I can be.  I was in maybe grade 3 or 4 & had to stand on a chair so everyone could see me.  I think we sang "The Streets of London" that year.  While I was nervous, everyone thought my pallor was from nerves alone, little did they know (or could see) my leaking foot!!!!!  I almost fainted when we made it off stage!

3. I also fainted in high school assembly once!!!  Year 9 or there about.  It was a morning quadrangle assembly so we were out in the sun.  I probably hadn't had any breakfast & was wearing a jumper while it was hot.  This all contributed to said fainting incident.  Very embarrassed.  Our entire school was at the assembly, although that was only around 320 kids, that was plenty an audience for me!

4. The reason I was wearing my jumper was due to a bit of a war going on with my Mum.  Mum thought my summer uniform should go be below knee length.  I thought is should be well & truly above knee length.  I'd take it up after she'd wash it.  Then every time it went in the wash, she'd take it back down again.  I didn't have the guts to actually cut it so she couldn't take it back down.  This particular day I didn't have time to take it up so I was wearing a dorky belt to keep it hitched up & that was why I was wearing my jumper: to hide the belt!.  What an idiot!!!!!

5. The closest I've come to fainting since then was when Plumbing Boy's brother died.  He took his own life 18 years & 40 days ago.  I was overcome by emotion & the smell of the ward that I had to hastily sit with my head between my knees.  I saw stars, but didn't actually pass out that time.  I felt like an idiot as I'd only been going out with PB for a couple of years & had only known his brother briefly (in comparison to everyone else).

6. I don't think I ever got angry with PB's brother; or our friend Chris who also took his own life (almost 4 years ago now).  I feel a deep sadness that they felt so lost & alone that they couldn't reach out & let someone help them.  It still breaks my heart now when I think of how awful it must have been in the end for them.

7. I think I've decided I'd rather be cremated than buried.  I was always worried about being fried.  What if you weren't really dead???  I think it would be worse being buried alive though.  The fear & pain during cremation if you weren't quite dead would be shorter in duration than being in a box underground & still alive.  I recon anyway.  I haven't decided where I'd like my ashes scattered yet - probably a bit here & there.

8. I'm an organ donor & believe strongly in it.  Although I don't want my body donated to science for medical students to practice; I just can't get my head around that!  PB (& his mum) were able to donate some of his brothers organs.  I think his eyes & maybe kidneys?  They received a letter after the transplants were done letting them know what organs were able to be used & that they'd received new "homes" or should that be "hosts"?  It would be weird to meet the eye recipient & see his eyes peering out at you.  The joy of the recipient outweighs any weirdness though.

9. Apparently my kidneys & liver are in good order.  I went for what I call a "grease & oil change" at my local GP, who did all the usual lady tests followed by a leeching of blood.  My cholesterol has come down from 6.5 to 5.5 since last year which is good news as there is family history of high cholesterol requiring medication (thanks Ma!).  My good cholesterol was 2.5 which is apparently very good.  He did a liver & kidney function test which were excellent.  He  forgot to add the Ferritin (iron study) so I have to go back & donate another vial of red stuff.  Mine is on the high side so we test every year to make sure it's not increasing which could cause me problems.

10. It shits me no end when people bang on the internet on about iron & making sure you have enough iron blah blah blah.  They really need to consider the fact that their readers may have an iron overload disorder they are unaware of & have just encouraged them to make this worse by recommending they take supplements & eat more bloody iron!!!  Feeling tired doesn't always mean you have low iron. I could be the opposite & you could be harming people by pushing this view point.  I can't take multi vitamins because just about all of them have iron in them.  And you'd be surprised just how many food products are fortified with iron (cereals, milks, juices etc).  So.  Don't assume your iron levels are low.  And if you are being tested your doctor needs to specifically test your Ferritin Level.

11. My arms feel like spaghetti today.  My new PT has been working me to exhaustion.  Last night we ended with an exercise I do frequently on my own.  A plank on your toes arms on elbows, then you go up on to your hands one hand at a time then back down onto your elbows one at a time.  He tried to make me do this last night with my feet in straps hanging from the ceiling (makes your core work harder as you are quite unstable) instead of on the floor.  After 3 attempts to make it easier by holding the straps stabler each time, he let me do it on my toes & I still could barely lift myself up onto my hands.  I felt so pathetic!  He just laughed & said I did awesome & that he'd done his job because he'd completely fatigued my core.  My core hurts too, but my arms are worse!!  My niece once asked my sister, "who is FAT-IG-U"?  What do you mean she said.  I want to know who he his & why he kills & why its on a sign.  The sign said "Fatigue Kills".

12. I once killed a mouse.  In a toaster.  There was peer pressure, but I was the one who pushed the button down.  I still feel ashamed about this 20 years later.  I know a lot of people hate rodents & consider a good one a dead one, but I still feel like I murdered an innocent creature.

13. I prefer to relocate pests rather than poison  squash or fry them.  I don't even like to squish ants.  Maybe I was a Buddhist in a previous life.

14. I worry about the welfare of the animals that I eat & think that maybe one day I will be a vegetarian.  But then I remember the episode of the young ones where Neil is making a vegetable soup & the carrots are crying & Neil goes a bit crazy.  Carrots have feelings to you know!!  I try to shop responsibly & make sure the produce I buy are farmed kindly & responsibly.  I cannot understand people who think caged chickens are OK (yes Dad - that means you!).  

15. My favorite foods at the moment are sweet potato & the cheese board Persian feta with Chili & Safron  I could eat both at every meal!!!!!

I tag:
Anyone who what's to play along who's not been tagged yet!!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!



8 comments:

Ute said...

MOUSE TORTURER!!!!!!

Don't worry mate. I've done some awful things to animals and not been proud.
Back in my primary school years I had to kill and pluck and gut chooks that we raised from little chicks. :(

I could become a vego quite easily. It's really only Mboy who prevents a full conversion. Bloody men and their meat loving.

AlleyCat said...

LOL!

OMG killing your chicks is horrible!!!! poor thing. not nice.

Yeah, I recon if Plumbing Boy (or another meat eating bloke) wasn't around I'd be vego for sure!!!

Memphis Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Memphis Steve said...

OK, I had heard that suicide was a real problem in Australia, but I had no idea that it truly was such a common occurrence. That's awful!

My father was cremated and it was the strangest thing for the family. For those of us who didn't see him actually dead in the hospital there was no viewing and the funeral was so strange that it seemed more like a party for my dad which he never showed up for than a funeral. After the 'funeral', which featured his ashes in an urn, we all just went home. There was no burial. And for months and months I kept expecting my dad to call or be at my parents house when I visited because it didn't feel as if he had died.

I was very relieved when the vitamin companies finally acknowledged that not everyone (men in particular) should be supplementing with iron and so started to produce men's multivitamins which do NOT include iron. Look for them and see if its the same in Australia. If not, I could send you a bottle.

I have to admit, I don't think I could fry a mouse in a toaster either. That's pretty rough. But I watch my cats torture them to death and then eat them and I guess it doesn't bother me. Mostly because I know if the cats don't kill them they'll end up in my attic giving me a rough winter.

Chris H said...

OMG you cooked a mouse in the toaster!!!!! I am now looking at you if a totally different light... NAH! I kill mice quite happily, just not in me toaster.
Have a great mouse free weekend Chick.

AlleyCat said...

Hey Steve,

My sisters year level had 60 kids in it & 3 of them have suicided. I'm not sure what the overall stats are, but yeah, I'd say its a problem here.

I completely understand what you are saying about your Dad's funeral. My Mum wants something like that & I know when it happens it will feel strange. Everyone grieves in different ways & everybody needs different ways to achieve closure. I'm in two minds about who should be responsible to ensure that happens. I can see that with no burial or internment that closure is harder make real.

I have found 1 x multi vitamin company who make iron free ones. If I want them I have to get them on line as nobody stocks them. I figure I probably eat healthily enough to not worry.

The less said about the mouse incident the better. When my cat brings me a live one now, I rescue the mouse, put it outside & leave the cat inside.

AlleyCat said...

Hi Chris. Um yes, the toaster was thrown out. Hope you had a good weekend too!!!

Memphis Steve said...

3 out of 60 is quite a lot! Wow, I think this is something people don't often hear about Australia. I wonder why this is such a common thing there?