Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Race Report


As I awoke to my alarm going off @ 6.30am, Tess was already up!  My sis roused her step daughter (who’s Dad commented "it’s a miracle!  I can’t believe they’re all out of bed so early"!)  In support of my 10km run, my sis had entered Tess (13) & Charlotte (11) in the 6km run & she’d entered the 6km walk as had Mum & Dad.  Tess & Charlotte hadn't participated in a fun run before & nerves were starting to show!

We attached our timing tags to our shoes; fussed with our apparel (the girls running in their new over sized fun run t shirts, me in my usual running attire), hair, hats & sweat resistant sunscreen. Sis was walking as part of her work team & had to be down in front of the sewage pump station in the middle of Lake Pertobe at 7.50am – who knew that’s what that building was for! – for a team photo.

 waiting for sis's work mates

Photos taken, pre-race briefing done & warm up lead by the local cross fit mob completed, I lined up for the 10km starting @ 8.30am (followed by the 6km run @ 8.45am, 6km walk at 9am & 3km run around the lake).  As I was waiting towards the back of the starting chute, an announcement was made that there were 60, 55, 50 & 45 minute pacers running the race today & would be easily identified by their yellow safety vests with their time on their backs; and if we wanted to attempt any of those particular times to stick with the pacer & learn from them.

Straight away I saw Mr 60 minute pacer to my left & decided to try & stick with him.  Finally Steve Moneghetti did the countdown & we were off.  The first hill up Pertobe Road wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I found the first 3kms were the hardest to keep up with Mr 60 minutes.  

I actually donated the 2nd Hill to you Ute as it was in Lava Street.  Knowing your love of all things hot I thought it fitting.  It was a bloody roller coaster with 3 small hills & they were all killers!!  

Cinders kept me going up the 3rd Hill on Bostock Street where I started to settle into the run nicely & was at times running ahead of Mr 60 minutes, then he’d overtake me again then I’d over take him again so on & so forth.  

There as a lovely resident half way up hill 4 with his hose out & was spraying anyone who wanted it, I of course ran straight towards him & had a nice cool down!!

The next few hills I donated to Miss D & AM (AM went for a run in zero degrees C in Canada on the day in support!) although didn't find them as bad as I'd anticipated.  I actually powered up the 2nd Hickford pde hill – figured I’d rather be over the other side sooner than later which surprised me.  At around the 7km mark Mr 60 minutes said to me “good job, keep it up, come on, let’s go!” So I said OK, gave him a grin & 2 thumbs up & sped up making sure I ran through a sprinkler someone had conveniently running on their front nature strip.

Thank God C chose that last hill with her Cheerleaders outfit because I needed those pom poms & chant to get me up it!!!  I actually had you cheering me the rest of the way home C!  You were doing flips & splits too!!!

Back up the main street, past the arts centre, up cannon hill & back down Pertobe road to the finish line!  Plumbing Boy cheered me down the finishing chute & I crossed the line with an official time of 58.31 & a net time of 58 minutes.  No idea what the difference is supposed to be but it was a personal best for me!!!  My previous best was 62.05!!  I really didn't think I’d get under 60 minutes considering I hadn't yet been able to do so yet on the flat & this run had lots of hills!!!!  I waited up the back of the finishing chute for Mr 60 minutes & gave him my thanks & he wanted to know my times & previous best & congratulated me which was sweet.  I would not have achieved this result without him, that’s for sure.

Had my timing tag removed my one of the lovely volunteers; chugged down some water, sucked on a couple of orange quarters & went off to find the rest of the family.  Tess & Charlotte had finished within a minute of each other; Charlotte was waiting in the arranged meeting place & we cheered sis over the finish line.  Went & found Tess who was waiting for to cheer “Grandma & Grandpa” home!  Dad came in ahead of Mum – he’s in serious training for the Black Cat Trek so wanted to push.  Mum has asthma so came in towards the back of the walkers taking it easy & didn't manage to work up much of a sweat, but was happy to have participated!

us clowning around post race

We stayed for the presentations hoping to win one of the 10 x spot $200-00 Mizuno shoe voucher prizes, but no such luck, then wandered up the street for brunch.  All in all it was a good event.  My right knee was a bit sore on & off (hills mainly) & was sore Monday (iced it).  Went for a massage Monday night to help release all those trigger point tension spots which certainly did the job & it’s not sore at all this morning.

I managed to make the local paper’s online gallery – me running next to Mr 60 minutes.  - sorry, you have to scroll through to slide 46..... The official fun run pictures aren't up yet so we may yet have some action shots of the family!

Don't have another fun run planned at this stage.  I think I'll take a week off & then it will be time to get training for the Black Cat Trek!!!!!  Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Ute said...

Awww, for me?! HAHAHAHA!!

Bloody amazing mate. Well done! Great photos too.

I am always truly impressed by people who do these marathons. I'd be lucky to walk it!

AlleyCat said...

LOL yes for you!! Thank you! Funny thing is I don't think 10km is that far any more....I know it is though & can remember when I was working up to running 1km with out stopping. A Marathon is 42kms!!! Now that's bloody amazing!!!! Not sure I've got it in me to go that far...........

C said...

Ouch, I knew my groin was hurting, must have been from those splits!!!

So proud of you for logging such an amazing time! What a great idea to follow a pacer, I didn't realise they had such things.

Your family are just awesome for participating and supporting you too. I can't believe your parents even walked the race-- amazing! Oh and you and your sister look so alike! :-)

Epic Fail said...

Congratulations! You shaved 4 minutes off your previous time. That's awesome! And you can dedicate the water at the end to me. :-)

AlleyCat said...

Thanks C! I didn't know they had pacers either!!! First time for me :0) I think as we've gotten older my sister & I do look more alike; growing up she had red hair & blue eyes more like Mums side of the family, I've got the dark hair & brown eyes like Dad's side of the family.

Dad's right into his training at the moment - getting ready for the Black Cat Trek & Mum likes to join in with what everyone else is doing!

My sis was worried Tess & Charlotte were going to "hate" here the morning of the run - they were very nervous & not happy about being entered LOL! Charlotte said she wouldn't do it again, but had fun, Tess said it wasn't anywhere near as bad as she thought it would be!!! Not sure if she'd do it again or not - she'd probably prefer to do the walk & race her Mum!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Epic!! 4 minutes was pretty good hey!!! Water is dedicated to you mate!!!!

Cinders said...

What a great result - well done Cat xx

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Cinders!!! & thanks for getting me up that Hill :0)