Monday, January 7, 2013

How to break up with your....

How do you break up with your personal trainer???

Last year my gym had a deal on cheap PT sessions.  I signed up for a 10 pack & was quite happy.  I was allocated a young bloke (still on P plates).  Just out of his course I'd imagine; positives were he was keen, up to date with current training, not distracting (as in skinny short kid).  His car broke down Christmas week & he messaged me right on 4.30pm (allocated time) to say his car had broken down.  Being a bit of a softie I didn't give it another thought.  Although I guess his car should have broken down 15 - 30 minutes earlier than that if he'd planned to arrive on time.

This week he was a no show.  Reception called him & I spoke with him on the phone.  Apparently he'd forgotten.  Strangely we'd been doing sessions at 6pm Wednesday nights for the past 12 weeks (excluding the week before).  Hmmm.

I was a little bit annoyed, but wandered off into the weights area to do stuff on my own.  I'd just squeezed out 4.5kms on the tready & it was my last work out planned before the Warrnambool 10km.

I'd managed to do a 3 sets of weighted calf pumps & quad whatervers when the PT who'd been at reception when I'd spoken to my PT (PT1) came & found me & asked me if I still wanted to train.  Of course I said yes, without thinking about the fact that I probably needed to pay him!

He was really really good!  A lot more challenging that PT1 & I think a lot more knowledgeable   He noticed right away that my right hip is tight & not quite right.  Although maybe it is obvious to someone with a lot of experience.  I had a fantastic session & he spent quite a bit of time at the end stretching out my legs & hips trying to figure out which muscles are the offending ones.  I've seen Chiro's, Osteo's, Physio's & various massage people & I recon PT2 was more on to it than they have all been.  But I guess he's had the advantage of seeing me in motion.  

I asked him what I owed him at the end of the session hoping I had enough cash in my emergency gym bag stash & car stash to cover it, but he said nothing, that he didn't have a client at the time & was there to work & clearly I wanted to train so he didn't mind doing it & didn't expect anything for it.

Now comes my dilemma   How do I switch to PT 2?  I've still got 7 paid sessions with PT1 to go & am thinking of going twice weekly til the end of Jan to use them up, & then we're on holidays for the last week Jan/first week Feb.  But I'd still have one session left.  

Both work in the same gym & I'm bound to run into PT1 doing a session with PT2.  Sometimes I wish I wasn't so sensitive? about such things.  Any advice???  I guess I'm kind of hoping PT1 might pike again on me giving me more than good reason to discontinue with him & ask for a refund on the remaining sessions.

I suppose I'll just have to wait & see.  PT2 wanted to know how I went with the Warrnambool run so I will run into him at the gym.  Maybe I'll have a chat with him about it....

I'm not sure how cut throat the PT's at my gym are & maybe the free session was a ploy for PT 2 to pick up more work; or maybe he's genuine & it was what it was.  Arggg.  I guess time will tell!!!

Any advice welcome!!!!!

7 comments:

DOG3OY said...

This is easy, give him the “its not you, its me” speech it’s the soft option but really you have given him your time twice and he has let you down, don’t waste a third time and switch to the new guy.

He’ll get over it and if he gets his shit together you may switch back later, but you now need the hands of an experienced dude.

AlleyCat said...

Yeah, I think I will use that approach, I'm just pissed that I have 7 paid sessions to use up first!!!!

DOG3OY said...

make him your bitch :)

AlleyCat said...

LOL I wish i was that hard core!!!!

AlleyCat said...

Maybe I'll double date :0)

C said...

Awkward, I am terrible in these situations...

No doubt about it, you have to break up with PT1 though and prioritise your health and fitness. Get through the 7 sessions as quickly as possible and just tell him you might try a different approach in the future. I am sure he will get the message because he must know he has been slack. Think of it as a good learning experience for him.

Good luck!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks C! A good learning experience for him! Don't mind if I do use that thought!!! :0)