Monday, December 10, 2012

Anniversary

I wrote this two weeks ago & forgot to publish it!

It's pretty much my 1st year anniversary of road running without injury!  I started in spring 2011 (August) when I signed up for the Up&Running 10km course.  A couple of injuries later I couldn't do the formal run I'd signed up for nor did I complete the 10km training program properly (sorry Shauna & Julia!).  Reality was my body wasn't ready for it.  

While I could run 5kms (& further) easily on a treadmill, running on natural (or concrete, asphalt etc) ground makes your body work harder & I didn't factor in the time it would take for my body to adjust.  I worked with my physio & gradually built up the kms & ran a virtual 10km in January this year.  I also had to do a heap of very specific glute activation exercises.  Who knew not only were my glutes weak, they were also lazy buggers.  Especially the one on the right LOL!.

I now have a year of running stats - times, distances etc to compare.  I'm definitely getting faster.  I'm definitely getting stronger.  That is definitely due to the weekly 30 minute PT session I've been doing.  Even Mr PT notices one leg is stronger than the other.  We always work the lazy leg first.  Slowly it's catching up.  This would explain why I am right handed yet left footed.  My lower right side has been cactus since forever it would seem.

Sorry.  Sidetracked.  So Happy Anniversary to me!  I recon it must be time for a new pair of runners - I have 2 pair now & alternate, the older shoe has done almost 500kms.  Too many to choose from!  I think I'll wait til after Christmas then hopefully pick some up on sale.


2 comments:

Memphis Steve said...

Happy Runniversary and congrats to you for doing so well! I wish I could say I was doing as well, but you already know I'd be lying. I'll try to get back to it, though. And happy running to you! Oh, and Merry Christmas!

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Steve - I really hope you feel better soon mate.

Merry Christmas to you too. Hope you ARE better by then!