Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Fun Run 18/11/12

One of my friends said to me "those are two words that just don't go together Cat!  Fun & Run!".  Although she did say afterwards, 20 years ago she'd have been the first to put up her hand & go running.  Funny how times have changed - I was the one trying to avoid sport & PE at all costs back then.

We were up at the crack of dawn - 5.45am as I had to collect my race number prior to 8am.  Plumbing Boy was Mr Taxi & chief support person - backpack/clothing holder & putter upperer of cranky me the night before (that's another story in itself - his dinner cooking didn't quite go to plan & I'm a bit of a control freak in my own kitchen).  

Made it to Geelong & found a park without too much stress as the event organizers were in the process of closing of some of the streets on arriving making navigation a little trickier.  We were within a block of the event when the 12km runners took off (7.40am) & could hear the PA & see them taking off!  

Collected race number & installed without ado, then hung about watching all the people til my starting time.  It had been pouring with rain on our way down to Geelong (50 minute drive) & PB was a bit annoyed that I didn't pack my rain coat!  Lucky for me, it stopped as we hit Lara & the sun came out.

The event was very well organised; lots of information explaining how the event would operate & signs instructing you where to go.  The starting chute was organised into 5 speed zones with signs showing where to line up according to your estimated speed.  

Finally it was time to line up -  I was in the 3rd wave of runners 35mins - 45mins.  The first group was sub 25 minutes, then 25 - 35, 35 - 45, 45 - 55, 55+.  Although the sun had made an appearance, the sea breeze was still quite chilly & I was reluctant to take off my jumper!  Once I was nestled in with the masses, I was nice & warm & we all eagerly awaited the start.

We took off in waves & it was a little difficult to find a clear path to run as there were just so many people.  It wasn't til I rounded the first corner into Moorabool street (& the first hill) that I had true perspective of the numbers.  As far as I could see was a sea of runners taking up both sides of the street which was pretty awesome!  There were families, kids, friends & all giving it a go.  That was the fun part!  I kind of felt a bit special doing the run with so many other people. The first wave had already rounded the corner: there were runners everywhere!

Most of my outdoor training is done on flat ground; with hill training done on the treadmill.  While Moorabool Street isn't that steep, it has a long steady incline for the best part of a km!  There were a few more gentle rises & another hill closer to the finish line.  Spectators were out on the street the whole way around cheering on family & friends.  The second half of the course was through Eastern Park & I could see the bay.  Just beautiful.  I even tried to run in the shade I was that hot!

I ran pretty hard the whole way around & started to feel a little knee pain in the last km, maybe the hills?  I don't know.  The last 200m was down hill & on flat ground.  My mate D came to see me cross the finish line - while I saw neither D or PB at the finish - was concentrating too hard on crossing the line & not crashing into the chick who'd stopped dead in front on me - I did spot D pretty much straight afterwards :-)  

I'm still waiting on the official result; my watch said 35.33 although I think I hit stop at the first timing speed bump instead of the second which means I should probably add 10 - 20 seconds!  The results are supposed to be in the Geelong Advertiser today, click on the link to see the wave of runner on Moorabool Street! & on the RunGeelong website tomorrow so will update when I get them!


Here is a dodgy pic PB took on my phone to prove I actually did the run!  Was taken after I'd cooled down & needed my Jumper back on!  Miss D took a much better pic, but I can't for the life of me make my phone allow me to save it (was emailed).  I was more than happy with the time & it was as expected if not a little better.  I had no idea about how the first 1/2km would be affected by all the other runners & also how much the hills would slow me down.   I always have the road or treadmill to myself!  It felt good though to be part of something much bigger & think I'll be sticking to charitable fun runs from now on!

The 10km I did previously was more for serious runners; definitely more competitive & not so much fun, unless you were part of the "group" or a regular to this organisation I guess.  I wasn't made feel unwelcome by any means, but it wasn't as a friendly event as the 6km.

The 6km had more of a carnival feel with stalls (coffee, goods, advertising etc), kids rides & someone (Billy Brownless I think!) entertaining us on the microphone giving a bit of a commentary (& instructions) throughout the event.  It certainly made for a far more festive event.

In hindsight, there were things I did & didn't do that contributed to having a bad 10km experience which I was able to remedy for the 6km, which contributed having a better run.

1. Breakfast.  Normally I jump out of bed & run, eat breaky post run.  I applied this to the 10km, however getting up at 6.30am for an 8am start with no food didn't really work.  I should have gotten up 1/2hr earlier & eaten.

2. Mints.  Stupidly I scoffed a couple of mints just before the 10km which made my mouth dry & just bloody Yuk for the whole 10km.  This time nothing but small sips of water.  I did brush my teeth both times (can't run with dirty teeth in the morning!) & the toothpaste doesn't bother me.  Must have been the sugar &/or chemicals in the mints.  I had sinusitis & was feeling bad breathy which was why I ate them!

3. Injury.  I was still a bit injured for the 10km maybe should have switched to the 5km, but as they say, you never know til you give it a go.  I hurt the whole way through the 10km.  The camber of the road on the 10km was against me; the 6km there was lots of road & on some occasions surfaces to choose from.

4. Nerves.  I was really nervous for the 10km & put a fair bit of pressure on myself.  I was nervous for the 6km too, but more about attempting to run with so many other people & more "what if someone I know sees me"!  Yes, a bit stoopid!.

5. Understanding the course.  At the 10km, the half marathoners started off in 1 direction at the same time as the 5 & 10km runners in the other direction.  I did ask a group of 3 chicks near me if I was pointed in the right direction for the 10km, they said yes, unless you want to run the half (event instructions & organisation was very poor according to PB).  For the first 5km I was so stressed I was in the 1/2 marathon group & that I'd stuffed the whole bloody thing up.  I'm much better when I am sure of what's going on.  My inner control freak.  I got PB to check the instructions for the 6km & make sure I was in the right place in the right group pointing in the right direction at the right time.  This is why I am definitely going to run the half of the course I don't know @ Warrnambool prior as a general training run.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience & am now looking forward to training for & completing the 10km in January!



7 comments:

DOG3OY said...

your killing me, thinking about running gets me sweaty.

i have running dreams, that is a little strange, I'll try not to case a dirty look at the treadmill in the shed tonight

like its its fault i dont use it...

DOG3OY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris H said...

Bloody hell.. talk about having energy! You sure run a lot Chick... onya!

Tully said...

Fun and run don't work for me either, but good on you for pushing yourself to do it.

Great work on completing the race and getting such a good time, you must feel very proud of yourself!

Oh and I gather the meat smoker thingy didn't go quite to plan for dinner... ;-)

AlleyCat said...

Hey Dog3oy! be nice to that tready OK? Dreaming of running away from or towards???

Thanks Chris!!!

Thanks Tully!!! - yes, the cob - the plate was way too hot & everything burned on the outside before the inside was cooked!! He needed to let the coals burn down for at least an hour before putting anything on it. Then he decided to place the cob on my cook top which meant no bench space AND every time he asked me how to do something or what I thought about how he should do something he just ignored me & did it the way he was going to in the first place!!!!!! that made be a bit cranky LOL!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Wow... well done on the run!!! I can only dream of doing a fun run... I cant even run to the end of my street!!! Damnit!
you look fantastic too lady!!! Envious!!

AlleyCat said...

Wanna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You back :0) Thanks lovely! I've been enjoying your scuba activities on facebook LOL!