Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Stand Where He Stood

We recently watch the TV series Band of Brothers & it rekindled my interest in the Kokoda Track.  

Kokoda is something I've wanted to do for a while now & I finally started looking at tours this week.  I'd settled on a particular company & then started to ponder where it was my Grandpa fought in relation to Kokoda.  I started searching place names & Kokoda based on the information I had & found The Black Cat Track.  This is where my Grandpa was.  He references many of the points in the series of posts I did 2010 about his life.  I've linked the first post, there were 2 more if you can be bothered going back to read them.

I'm so excited!  I can't believe the track he fought on is called the Black Cat.  My nickname is Cat, I have a black cat, I love black cats, I barrack for the Cats.........it was meant to be!!!!  I've emailed Dad & my Aunt & Uncle (Grandpa's 3 kids) to see if they are interested.  Dad has expressed interest, as has Mum although she's not sure either of them will be fit enough to do it.  Plumbing Boy is in.  Did I tell you how excited I am?  :0)  I'd love to do it with my Dad; or either of his siblings.  My aunt & I sat with Grandpa in hospital the day he passed away & have shared a special bond since then.  My uncle is tops as well; although he has a heart condition, so may not be good candidate.

I've emailed my expression of interest for the 2013 trip; just waiting to hear back.  I was almost in tears just reading the itinerary alongside the documentation I have on Grandpa.  I imagine it will be a very emotional time for me, but that's OK.  I cant wait to stand where he stood.  I can't quite describe how I feel about the affect/effect War had on not just him, but all involved.  It fills me with such sadness at the awful things they encountered.  I am also very proud of the Man he was.  I'd better change subjects before I need to wipe my eyes again.

I've updated my running page & have almost finished week 3 of a 10 week training program for the 10km fun run I've signed up for; 1 run left to go this week.  I did my first 6.5km in a long time yesterday morning (it was 3 degrees & bloody cold let me tell you!) & my calves are feeling it still!  I'll post the program soon so you can give me heaps if I slack off.  I need to knuckle down next week & get some weight & cross training happening.  I've got the ANZAC spirit with me now, so I'd better HTFU & do it!

Hope you all have a marvelous weekend.  I hope the catters will be using hawk feathers for toothpicks later tonight.....................



6 comments:

Ute said...

Amazeballs!

How wonderful for you, and your family.
I've seen quite a few doco's on people who have traveled along the Kokoda track, and you have to be REALLY fit. I reckon you've got no worries there.

I've always loved the thought of being at Gallipoli for ANZAC day. Probably never happen, but can you imagine the overwhelming emotion?!

Good luck, hope you get as many of your family together for the track as you can. x

Cinders said...

That is really exciting - I'd be happy to do some training with you around the 1000 steps in Dandenong if you like. I'm sure they have some sort of mini memorial track around there.

I can't believe you went out running in the freezing cold - that is fantastic :)

Have a good weekend and I really hope the Catters get home for you (Sorry Brooke!)

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Uteski! - I feel overwhelmed already at the possibility & can't wait to make it a reality. I think my aunt has his medals. I'm not sure if it would be a wank to take & wear them......

Cinders! yes, thanks for the offer! Definitely need to do some hill training. You are on! Apparently the packs are 10kg if you want to carry them yourself or you can hire a porter. I wanna carry!!!!!!!

C said...

Oh my goodness Cat, what an amazing thing to do. I take my hat off to you because I know I could never do it myself. I am really looking forward to hearing all about the training and the trek when you do it.

Hmmm, I'm not too confident about the game tonight... hopefully I am wrong.

Also, thanks for the email notification.

Clarissa.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks C! You could never do it..... why??? :0)

I'm not confident at all & will not be watching!!! We won the last 2 games I didn't watch!!!! Don't want to jinx them/us! will be checking the score though.....

Chris H said...

I'm hollering! I missed this one... cos as you said, it doesn't show up in Google Reader.
That trip sounds wonderful!