Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Letter 1


I've amended names/details (in blue from my point of view) to enhance understanding of the family relationships & protect privacy.  Otherwise it's all as he wrote, spelling, punctuation & all......

1/12/1989
Dear A.M.

I am sorry that I took so long to answer your long letter full of news.  You seem to be having a wonderful time with your sheep.

It has been a very wet winter here this year.  It is raining at the moment, 1st of December. ( My Mum & Dad) have a girl from Denmark this year, speaks very good English (Aust).  She has been up to (Dad’s sisters) to see the shearing.  (Dad’s sister & husband) who will shear 30,000 sheep this year.  She said that is all the sheep they have in Denmark!

In July this year I had an operation to have a lens put in my left eye, it was done with a local anaesthetic in Hamilton hospital and now I don’t have to wear glasses.  My right eye was done 8 years ago but was a failure.  I am now able to drive my car again.

It was three months before I could do any work bending down, but I am back in the garden again.  

I went with some friends of mine to Queensland for a month at a seaside place called Caloundra 100 miles north of Brisbane.

It was 47 years ago that I was in Caloundra.  We were there in the Army during the 2nd world war, it is a very different place now.  It is a holiday resort all the way from Brisbane. 

Page 2:
My hands are not as steady as they used to be.  This is also to wish you all the best for the 90’s.

CEST LA VIE

AIDE TOI LE CIEL

TAIDERA

N’SET CE PAS

TOUT A VOUS (SINCERELY)

AND A MERRY XMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.  WHY DID NOT I 

THINK TO WRITE LIKE THIS.

YOURS SINCERELY

BLUE

Most people knew my Grandpa as Blue, a nickname he received in his teens, due to his red hair.

2 comments:

Ute said...

Daaaaaaw... this is great.

I wish I had some old family letters.
I know my mum has diaries dating back quite a few years....she wont let me near them though. So will have to see what she's written about me when she karks it!

AlleyCat said...

Fanks Uteski!!! Will be interesting to see what she's written!!! I recon I still have some high school love notes....maybe I'll dig them out & blog em for your entertainment!! :0)