Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Up & Running 1.1 & 1.2

So. I started the Up & Running 10km course this week. I had a bit of panic on Monday, trying to figure out how to fit 3 workouts in, with a rest day between each from Monday to Thursday. The math just wasn't working!!!! I knew the weekend was supposed to be mental preparation, no work outs; I completed workout 1.1 Sunday morning anyway, then thought I'd have to do the next on Monday night & the 3rd Wednesday.



In my usual haste, I'd misread the literature: the work out week is Monday to Sunday; the course week is Thursday to Wednesday. Dufus. This suits me much better as I've been using the Monday to Sunday week anyway (this time around!).



Workout 1.1


Done @ works industrial estate early Sunday morning. It was cold, windy & rained on & off. Plumbing Boy kindly loaned me his (very expensive according to him) Gortex dirt bike rain jacket. As you can imagine it was a little big for me, but lovely & warm! And not too sweaty. The only problem was the smell.....................sweaty bloke!!! As all the course material is copy written I can't share too much, but this workout included a warm up run, skipping/walking/running, then more running with speed progression.


Distance: 7kms
Time: 54 minutes
Max Heart Rate: 179



Workout 1.2


Did this one on Wednesday night around the local suburb. All running, mostly slow with some progression at the end. In the sweaty bloke jacket again, light wind & a bit of sunshine although quite cold.


Distance: 5.06kms
Time: 40 minutes
Max Heart Rate: 170




Here I am as I came back from 1.2 in said sweaty bloke jacket.

Workout 1.3

Will be done tonight & involves a 30 minute run, some strides & a 1km time trial at the end, running as fast as I can! EEEEK.



I've also signed up for the 10km race at the end of the course. Double EEEK. It's actually a 12km - the loop is 4kms & they offer a 4, 8 & 12km race. As coach says, I can walk the first 2kms as a warm up then run. I dunno if I'll be able to walk while everyone takes off at a run in front of me though.....my inner competitor will not be happy!!!! Maybe I could walk the last 2kms instead :0)



It's local & I can practice the course. I used to run (shuffle) it with my old training partner. The only hard bit is running up the bridge to cross the river. The rest is fairly flat. It's by the river & there are nice big tree's so scenic enough!



I bought a heart rate monitor which is great although the instructions where shite. Thank god for YouTube & the kind souls who make instructional clips on how to work stuff!!!! I'm kinda wishing now I'd bought the GPS version. Scaling the map (firstly remembering which route I'd run) is a pain in the arse. Perhaps this is the push I need to get a new phone. But which bloody phone??? Any runners out there use running apps?? Recommendations please!!!!



I'd better get back to work. We've had man flu in the house this week so PB has been hibernating in the office, looking over my shoulder all week! LOL. He's finally left the office this morning hence getting a blog post in!



Have a fabulous weekend everyone; wherever & whatever you are doing!

6 comments:

Ute said...

Geez, you look fkn fabulous even after a 1.2 run!

Hope your weekend is great too lovely.

Mwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhh!
xox

Epic Fail said...

That max heart rate is way up there! Are you sprinting in the middle of these runs? I'm not trying to be funny. I'm just a bit concerned by how high it is. Incidentally, you look great in the sweaty jacket.

AlleyCat said...

fanks Uteski!!!!!!

Epic - lol @ sweaty jacket! Thankyou. RE heart rate, I have the max set on my hrm @ 185 which i haven't cracked yet . That was based on age, weight & stuff.

Each work out has involved either strides, skipping & the time trial which i haven't blogged yet, so yes, there are peaks & troughs through the work outs.

What is your average & max normally at?

My average has been around 155, coach wants us to record our max for her though.

MarkD60 said...

I would rather swim than run. But I am intrigued by your heart rate monitor.

AlleyCat said...

Hi Mark - Yippee for a fellow scuba diver (yes. I just checked out your blog)!!! While I can scuba I'm a pretty crap freestyle swimmer - that's on the summer (in Australia) agenda to improve.

Slyde said...

congrats on keeping with this! I work out regularly, but try as i might i just cant do the running thing. drive me batty