Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

RIP Rita Jean

My remaining Grandparent passed away peacefully yesterday morning surrounded by 2 of her daughters, 2 of her granddaughters & one of her son inlaw's. She would have been 95 in August. She has 8 children (6 living), 10 grand children & 3 great grand children. She was loved & will be missed.

My cousin & I arrived at the nursing home Wednesday night at 7.30pm & stayed with her til midnight & were very pleased to have had that time with her, to tell her she was loved, that it was OK for her to go & that we would look after & keep her children together, even if some of them were ratbags. While she wasn't conscious & was on morphine, we believe she heard us. We had a scented candle burning & played some music we thought she'd like, as last time she was really sick, she though she heard the angels singing her into heaven (which at the time was actually the oldies regular singalong).

We came back in the morning, on our arrival (the others were already there & had told her we were coming), she opened her eyes & looked at both of us, then drew her last breath. We were privileged to have been there to support & love her (& her daughters) in her final moment.

My Mum is overseas & I was relieved to have been there for her as well; although she bid grandma farewell before she left & Grandma did not begrudge her leaving. I had to call Mum yesterday & deliver the news, however she took inexplicable comfort, that Grandma was not alone when she passed.

The funeral won't be til next week as we have family interstate who will want to be here.

While I am sad that she is gone, I am relieved she is out of pain, as her existance in the past 12 months has not been particularly pleasant.

Please excuse my absence in Blogland over the next week or so.

Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

RIP Grandma.

8 comments:

Ute said...

Condolences Cat.

RIP Rita Jean.

She has such a kind and lovely face.

{hugs}

xox

Cinders said...

I've never heard that blessing before - it's beautiful. Sorry for your family's loss Cat x

AlleyCat said...

Thank you both.

Ute - as she got older her face got softer, esp her eyes.

Cinders - it's an oldie, I really love it - meaningful without being too religious. PS I just heard her Cat's scarf is going in the coffin....

JustJo said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... no matter how expected a death is, it still breaks your heart when it happens.
Like you said - she is no longer in pain, take comfort from that.
my thoughts will be with you.

Jules said...

Much love to you and yours.xxxx

I remember the loss of my Grandma Margaret, the last of my grandparents to leave, there is something so final about the passing of the last of that generation in your ancestry. You feel that you move up a level and are no longer a grandchild anymore, only a child and therefore lose that sense of innocence that you could always maintain with your grandparents...
Love the blessing..

Irish Daughter said...

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful blessing for a beautiful, well loved lady. Thoughts are with you and your family. +

Epic Fail said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother dying. The last of my grandparents died a long time ago when I was still very young. You were very lucky that she was around for so long.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Jo, Jules & Irish: comforting & thoughtful words from you all & sorry I've take so long to say so.