Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Farewell

We Farewelled my Grandma in style Wednesday 11th May 2011. My Aunt J after a bit of a wavery start, delivered an amazing Eulogy, during which I found out a number of things that I hadn't heard before. One of which was a telephone game Grandma used to play with one of my uncles. He lives in WA & sometimes the footy broadcast would stop at 3/4 time. Grandma would then call & my uncle at 5 minute intervals, he was not to answer the phone, but count the number of rings - that would be the score the Cat's would be in front!




We had the most lovely reply from an email I sent to the club letting them know one of their older supporters had passed away wanting to be buried in her club scarf.




Hi C,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are unable to have a representative attend the funeral, however you are more than welcome to read out the following on behalf of the Club:

“The Geelong Football Club would like to offer its condolences to Rita’s family on her passing.
A lifelong supporter, Rita epitomised dedication and passion to the Geelong Football Club.
Her family can be comfortable in the knowledge that her support and love for the Club meant a great deal and that all our successes were in part to this support.
She will live on as one of the many supporters who make up the proud history of the Geelong Football Club.“

Kind Regards




She would have been astounded & absolutely stoked. Even better was the win on Friday night (sorry Cinders!).




There were double the numbers expected at the actual funeral which surprised & pleased the family. My interstate cousins all made it except one & we had a good time catching up with each other, despite the sad occasion. After the cemetery, we went to a local winery (where we'd had Grandma's 90th birthday party) & were able to speak with Mum & Dad on the phone. Mum was able to speak with each of her siblings (5), as well as myself, my sis & Tess. It certainly made her feel part of the proceedings & as you (may have) read from their last transmission, they were able to watch the funeral via web cam. I've probably already said this, so sorry for repeating myself, but Grandma was happy for Mum & Dad to go & had told them not to cut their trip short should she "pass" before they return.




After the winery, we had a family dinner at a pub in Geelong. After older family members retired, us cousins (having stopped in at the supermarket for a pack of cards) fired up a round of 500, Grandma's favourite card game. We were promptly told we weren't allowed to gamble (yes, the only bar left open at 10.30pm was the pokie bar) & to pack up our cards. We found a little beer garden with patio heaters & continued on til 1am when our 2 lookouts took their eyes off the ball & we got busted again & were asked to leave by the security staff. Hilarious. Probably just as well as I had to get up at 5.30am & drive back to Melbourne to work.




I was a bit worse for wear Thursday & was excused for a few hours to have a nap. Friday I was still in a bit of an emotional haze & spent the weekend trying to catch up on work/home/sleep & recuperate from the emotions of the past week.




It's strange to think of never seeing or visiting Grandma again, but that is life & I'm not sure I want to live to be 94 myself!




Thank you again to everyone for their kind words via email, txt, FB & here - it means so much to know that you all care.



From Grandma's order of Service.....




Miss Me - But Let Me Go


When I come to the end of the road


And the sun has set for me


I want no rites in a gloom filled room


Why cry for a soul set free?




Miss me a little - but not too long


And not with your head bowed low.


Remember the love that we once shared,


Miss me - but let me go.




For this is a journey that we all must take


And each must go alone


It's all part of the Master's plan,


A step on the road to home.




When you are lonely and sick of heart


Go to the friends we know


And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.


Miss Me - But Let Me Go!




Rita Jean 20th August 1916 - 5th May 2011 RIP.

9 comments:

Ute said...

That was a lovely touch with the Footy club.

Sounds like a wonderful send off, for a truly great lady, Cat.

xox

AlleyCat said...

thanks Ute. yeah, the club was fantastic. I'm pretty sure Grandma would have been pretty happy with her send off. xo

AlleyCat said...

PS I tried to comment on your blog Ute, but blogger hates me. The only place i've been able to comment today is here!!! grrrrr

Ute said...

Oh, is blogger having yet another seizure? Typical.

Kate said...

Oh Cat, what a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. I love that poem and so nice of the footy club to send that message. I hope you're doing ok.

Makes me think of my Grandma who is 90 next year and struggling a bit. Hard to imagine that she won't be there one day - like you said.

Take care of yourself, K xx

Epic Fail said...

I'm very sorry that you're having to go through this. I recall a few years back, the older brother of a friend of mine died and several hundred people came to the funeral. I had no idea that he had known so many and affected them so much. The ironic thing was, he never knew either.

AlleyCat said...

Thanks Kate - I hope however long your Grandma has left is a happy time & as pain free as possible! She might make it to 100 - you just never know!!! I'm still finding it weird that I won't be going to visit mine any time soon.

Thanks too, Epic - she would have been stoked at the turnout that's for sure - she always wanted to go to the funeral home out in the burbs, not the one in town as there "is more parking, & people can stay for a cup of tea afterwards". so that's what happened.

Cinders said...

That's a beautiful send off for your Grandma. Yep, I did think of her when the pies lost that night :)

Slyde said...

im sorry to hear about grandma. i've been on vacay and hadnt seen the posts....

hope all is well :)