Friday, February 25, 2011

Revisited

Haven't felt much like blogging this week after the horror of the NZ quake. The thought of banging on here about myself was completely repulsive, in the light of what others are going through.

Instead I've been feeling thankful for the things I have in my life. While I bitch about work on FB (come on, I gotta let off steam somewhere) I am pretty lucky to be in the position I am in work wise, lifestyle wise & financially. I have a partner who loves me (even if it is like living with a 4 year old at times - but I spose a lot of blokes can be like that); enough family who do too; & am even more lucky to have more than a couple of really good close friends. I am reasonably fit & healthy.

In reality, I could probably plod along as is & continue to feel lucky & happy. However, earlier in the year, I decided to change some things in my life this year (as opposed to new years resolutions), so thought today would be a good time to revisit those. Click here to read the entire thing.

# Stop defining myself as old/saying out loud that I am old - I've made a conscious effort on this one. Although I'd be lying if I didn't mention that my life is probably already half over & that makes me feel a little anxious. I'm also going to reduce the time between hair colouring! @ 4.5 weeks, Plumbing Boy said to me "are you going to the hair dressers soon? Your part is really really grey"!

#Stop feeling guilty for time spent on myself - eg going to the gym, painting nails, sitting & reading a book. Well - I've read quite a few books already this year, but pretty much still only when in the tub. I've painted my toe nails once so far, the colour has just about worn off. I've had it on my list of things to do for around the past 3 weekends, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Still doing better than last year - I don't think I painted them at all! Haven't felt guilty about going to the gym at all (quite possibly because I haven't been going enough!!!)

#Stretches - do them. Need to work on these more.

#Look after my nails. While I haven't been painting them, I have been using an almond oil on the cuticles as well as moisturising daily (don't want old lady hands to give away my age!) & filing them when they need it (rather than ripping a busted one off with my teeth - ewwww). They're actually in reasonable nick!


#Stop Frowning. I was making an effort to relax my face before I went on hols in January, but seem to have forgotten about that one since I've been back. Time to put a note on my monitor! (I used to have a note saying "stop arguing with the customers even if they are wrong!")


#Exercise - do it! This has been a bit hit & miss. I've been doing Pump twice a week, which is on target. My running has dropped down to about 2 per week, but only 5kms. Haven't done anything towards my goal of 10kms (until last night). Admittedly I had an injury, but I'm pretty right now, so time to make a bit of an effort. 15 mins of Abs/Core every day at home - just a couple of planks & some crunches will do. My middle has gone very soft. Big fat fail on this one - have made no effort what so ever.

#Finish off my Fit Fab & Forty Challenge. Specifically, getting my waist measurement under 80cms & reducing my body fat %. My goal for this was Easter 2011, then maintain for the rest of the year. I actually joined a 12 week challenge with WAS to help kick start this, after 3 weeks I've lost 1kg & 1.5cms of my waist. I think that happened in the first week & I've done nothing since. I did have a bit of a mental shift last week, & while exercise wasn't done, portion control & positive thinking kicked in. It's time to actually do stuff, instead of think about stuff. I spent last Monday talking myself OUT of going to the gym, then realised I needed some inspiration: 5mins spent reading Shauna's blog & I changed my mind & went. Yesterday morning I decided I wanted to run 7kms last night & spent the whole day psyching myself up. Off I went & did it. Very Happy with myself. I've also decided to change my running days - I've been doing 5kms before pump Mon, Wed & Sat to minimise time spent at the gym. I don't think I can achieve my goals by minimising gym time. I'm going to change the run to a 30 minute power walk before pump & Run Tues, Thurs & either Saturday or Sunday, depending on what I've got on. Tues & Thurs can then be longer runs as I don't have to worry about doing pump straight afterwards.

#Curb Alcohol consumption. Specifically on week nights. This hasn't gone so well. I did a week, then fell off the wagon. Time to try a bit harder.

#Pay more attention to food/meal portion control. Considering the lack of movement on the scales/tape measure, I don't think I've paid this enough attention. The last few days I've been better, so hopefully as my motivation improves so will this.

So. How is everyone else going with their resolutions?

Happy Friday ladies & gents. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

9 comments:

DOG3OY said...

my resolution has always been to juggle three balls, something i know i'm capable of learning yet isn't life altering enough to be any real pressure on my life and really if id don't learn it then i can roll it over to the next year with out guilt... if i ever do learn to do it i'll be stuffed as i'd have to come up with a new resolution...

3 years and running :)

Chris H said...

I too have felt weighed down by the dreadful events in Christchurch, luckily I have managed to keep my blog up, but haven't felt like reading or commenting much ...
I too must stop frowning! lol

AlleyCat said...

Just you & your balls eh! LOL

AlleyCat said...

Me either Chris - I'm off to catch up on yours now!!!

Cinders said...

Never feel guilty about spending time on yourself. Loving your nails, I'm giving the acrylics a break for a while but my nails look revolting. Have a lovely weekend.

Cinders said...

I just realised all we've talked about today is nails..

AlleyCat said...

too true Cinders - that's pretty funny. today shall be know hence forth as nail day!

my index nails let me down - they always split & break & are heap shorter than the rest.

Good luck without the acrylic's - my natural nails were aweful after I took them off & i only had them on for a week or 2!!!!

Have a great weekend too :0)

Amanda said...

Gosh, if we didn't blog every time there was a disaster, the internet would be permanently quiet these days, it's just one thing after another! In the past 18 months, I've nearly had my house down from a bushfire, nearly had my house flooded, and had to be evacuated due to a cyclone.

What has happened in Christchurch is absolutely terrible, but I can't keep thinking about it, and I wish the media would talk about something else for maybe just 2 minutes! The ironic part about their saturated 24 hour TV coverage is that those affected greatly are without power, so can't see it anyway! We felt so isolated during Cyclone Yasi, as we had no power for almost 3 days, the rest of the world knew more about what damage had happened then we did!

Anyway, great time to revisit your goals :)

Ute said...

My nails look shit. I have only two left that look half decent..the rest are cut down real short, due to constant splits/flaking.

Frowning... yeah, I do have to keep reminding myself to stop that. I have creases now. *cries!*

Kiwiland- what can you say? It's awful. This year has started out crap for everyone. Fkn hope the rest of the year is better than this shit.