Monday, July 19, 2010

To Market To Market....

After falling asleep in front of the fire Saturday evening & missing a party I was supposed to go to, I woke up bright & early Sunday Morning. Plumbing Boy was going on a dirt bike ride for the day & had the alarm set for 6am - we were both already awake!

Usually I stay in bed & sleep while he fends for himself, but since I was awake & refreshed I got up & made him a big breaky. He got a lift with someone this week, so I had "proper" wheels for the first time in months on a Sunday!! As I was up so early, decided to see if there were any farmers markets on. A friend has been telling me about them for ages & I'd not really gotten around to sussing them out. I jumped on the computer & found one about 40 minutes from home. It was bloody SENSATIONAL!

It was only a small market, but the vendors were the peeps who made the stuff if you know what I mean. The chicken peeps bred the chickens, grew the food for the chickens on the property & have built a processing plant so they can slaughter the birds with minimum stress to the animal, thus providing a far superior product. I was also pleasantly surprised at the price! A LOT cheaper than I expected for organic produce.

I came home with a whole chook, some chicken thighs, 2 x rib eye fillets, 4 x Lamb honey & rosemary snags, 4 x pork, leak & pumpkin snags, a jar of raw honey, 2 bags of Oranges, 2 packets of smoked bacon & some other veggies. There were plenty of jams, chutneys, baked goods, a dimmy stand, coffee stand & plants as well on offer, but not for me this day.

I came home with my spoil & continued on with the house cleaning. My parents are coming next weekend so needed to do a monster clean. Does anyone else do that??? Double clean when their Mum comes to stay? Mum's got bad asthma, so I really do need to dust vigorously before she comes as it sets her off & she's been really bad of late. They actually thought she had emphysema at some point last week, which is pretty ironic as she has never smoked & is EXTREMELY anti smoking. She got the all clear on Thursday, no cancer or anything nasty. Just chronic asthma & "sagging" lungs - Mum said just like the rest of her LOL! Good news though.

I aint got much more to say & since I'm supposed to be working, I'd better get back to it! Keep out of the cold this week peeps if you live in my part of the world!!!!

3 comments:

DOG3OY said...

Farmers market…. (super green with envy) there was/is one in Balmain and there is a stall that does the best bacon and egg roll, honey smoked bacon, free range eggs and sourdough rolls. The ultimate hangover cure on a Saturday morning. I also spent some time at the farmers markets in the NSW southern highlands…. Fantastic stuff.

I double clean before any relatives arrive, I have to do it when the family have gone out, I can’t clean with people in the house. They get in the way, then I get in trouble for cleaning after she has already cleaned…. The assumption being that she hadn’t cleaned as well as I’d like it… 

AlleyCat said...

I was a bit early for breaky - no hot food was ready bar coffee thank gawd! That bacon & egg roll sounds divine! I like to clean solo - stops peeps dumping shiz where I'm trying to clean!!! LOL at you cleaning after your MRS! Mr thorough? or Mr Anal??? :0)

Chris H said...

I love going to markets too.. have not been to one in ages though.
Glad your Mum is OK.. sagging an all!