Monday, June 28, 2010

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi 1/4

k. I saw this around bloggie land last week & have stolened it (the blogger said we could so feel free to use too!). I'm splitting it into 4 parts so I don't bore you all brainless with my running commentary!

"Here is a list of Aussie things". The ones I have done are BLUE. I'm not entirely all these things qualify you to be Aussie though!

1. Heard a kookaburra in person. Heaps! We didn’t have any on the farm where I grew up, but been camping loads & bush walking. A friend who lives in Merimbula hand feeds them mince off his balcony. Love them!

2. Slept under the stars. Many many many times. Love to sleep under the stars next to a campfire. Much better than sleeping in a tent. Unless it is raining of course!

3. Seen a koala. On one of those camping trips when I was around 6 & my little sis was around 4, we were playing in the playground before breakfast when a Koala sauntered past right in front of us. I said "You pick it up & I’ll go & grab Mum & Dad & the camera”. Everyone in the caravan heard her shriek as the cute cuddly Koala scratched her as she tried to pick it up! Ooops.

4. Visited Melbourne. (live here).


5. Watched a summer thunderstorm. Many a time. One of my favourite smells is rain on the warm earth & freshly cut hay. We had a little swimming pool & it was fun to swim around in the heat & watch the storm roll in.

6. Worn a pair of thongs. Yes, but I gave up wearing them when I was 8. Can’t stand the toe wedgie. I’d much rather bare feet.

7. Been to Uluru (Ayer’s Rock). Sadly No.


8. Visited Cape York. Again Sadly no. The highest up I’ve been is Cape Tribulation last November. Plumbing Boy hopes to do a dirt bike trip there in the next 5 years & is quite keen for me to learn how to ride & go with him.

9. Held a snake. I think I touched a carpet python with my index finger. That’s about as close as I’ve managed.

10. Sang along with Khe San. "her legs were often open, but her mind was always closed" I remember sitting out the back of a church hall with my girlfriend & a six pack after the pub had shut teaching her the words. We sang that tune a LOT of times that night!

11. Drank VB. See above. Vitamin B, the Very Best – I wonder if I can find the photo of the pyramid of VB cans we made on the mantel piece of a rental house I lived in many moons ago! These days I’m a bit of a beer snob prefer naturally brewed stuff like Cascade or imported stuff like Heineken or Stellar or preferably a good Red.

12. Visited Sydney. Many times. The last was 2 years ago to go to the footy with my cuz. Go Cats. We won :0)

13. Have seen a shark. Too many to count. I like to scuba dive. Have only really seen reef sharks. Hoping for a Hammer Head this year!

14. Have used Aussie slang naturally in a conversation. Bewdy mate, no wuckers. All the bloody time.


15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian. I went to primary school with a couple of part indigenous kids; then worked at a pub across the road from some commission housing in Fitzroy, so had plenty of interesting & some not so interesting conversations with some indigenous Australians. They weren't all pissheads.

16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach. This one is a bit of a strange one. I though fish n chips in Australia came wrapped in white paper. Well they do in Victoria if you get them from a fish n chip shop. You usually only get them in a brown paper bag if you by them from a milk bar or a take away joint that’s NOT a fish n chip shop. No to the bag, yes to the paper!

17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. (not yet)

18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down. Bloody oath, my cousin’s had an outdoor dunny & a red back spider issue; I also lived in a rental that had an outdoor dunny.

19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. Yes

20. Slept on an overnight train or bus. from Exmouth to Denham WA 2007 on a greyhound bus.

21. Been to Sydney’s Mardi Gras (not yet)

22. Have gone bush-bashing. Yep. Learned to drive in a ute in a paddock.

23. Taken a sickie. Not for a long time though. But I do recall being so hung over I had to ring in sick one day.

24. Been to see a game of Aussie Rules football. Friday 21st May 2010 Cat's V Collingwood with my cuz from Sydney. Carn the Mighty Cats!

25. Have seen wild camels. We have wild camels? I’ve seen wild goats will that do!

7 comments:

Ute said...

"19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. Yes.." What? Who? Where?! Oh noes! I'm not an Aussie!!!!

DOG3OY said...

17. i lived in a share house in Lavender Bay, almost under the bridge, pre 9/11 we were able to climb the bridge, we did it drunk and stoned in winter and summer. never got caught never had any accidents.

i'm a little sick of the nanny state our country has become.

AlleyCat said...

LOL! Ute, if you haven't googled it already, young & Jacksons is the pub opposite flinders street station in Melbs & Chloe is a painting of a nekid chick.

I think I'd better change that blue, it's very hard to read!

Dog3oy - yes, I wish I'd done it before it got so damn complicated!!!

AlleyCat said...

PS - Ute - there is plenty I've not done so I'm not aussie either according to this!!!!!

Ute said...

NOOOOOOO!!! I hadn't googled it! Thanks for that, shows you I've seen little or none of Melb.

Yes, the blue was kinda hard to spot.

Will wait with antisipashun to read the rest of your meme... ;o)

kathrynoh said...

#15 is a bit off isn't it? I'm just imagining it being said in a Dame Edna voice...

I've done most of the stuff that doesn't involve dangerous animals.

AlleyCat said...

Fair point Kathryn - I did think about whether or not to leave it out.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who still have no clue about indigenous aussies - they think they are great footballers, but are stil uncomfortable on a personsal level. They are also uncomfortable with middle eastern peeps, muslim peeps, etc etc.

We are so lucky living in Melbourne to be exposed to so many cultures. I'm so used to it I don't even notice it, peeps is peeps. But I've had friends & family visit from the country who find it quite amazing &/or intimidating.