Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Wedding, Part 4

Ceremony & Reception.

Jax’s brother J had been entertaining our guests on guitar, we gave him the signal & he wound up his tune & our god daughters started up their wedding march, S (12) on Keyboard & vocals & M (14) on Viola. S had done an arrangement to include a viola solo, so the tune went for quite a while (6 minutes?).

It is You (I have loved)

There is something that I see
In the way you look at me
There's a smile, there's a truth in your eyes
But an unexpected way
On this unexpected day
Could it mean this is where I belong
It is you I have loved all along

It's no more mystery
It is finally clear to me
You're the home my heart searched for so long
And it is you I have loved all along

There were times I ran to hide
Afraid to show the other side
Alone in the night without you
But now I know just who you are
And I know you hold my heart
Finally this is where I belong
It is you I have loved all along

It's no more mystery
It is finally clear to me
You're the home my heart searched for so long
And it is you I have loved all along

Over and over I'm filled with emotionYour love, it rushes through my veins
And I am filled With the sweetest devotio
As I, I look into your perfect face
It's no more mystery
It is finally clear to me
You're the home my heart searched for so long
And it is you I have loved
It is you I have loved
It is you I have loved all along

The ceremony was on the board walk in front of the surf club & luckily we had quite a bit of decking we could use as the aisle. Tess, who’d been quite nervous the day before decided she was fine to walk first as she could see Mum & Dad waiting for her at the half way mark & a lot of the guest were out of view from where we started. Next walked Sis & Jax together, & finally T & K a step only in front of me.

Originally I wanted all 5 of us (me, sis, Jax T & K) to walk together in a line, no-one before, no-one behind, more a sign of unity & friendship, but it looked a bit stupid & there wasn’t enough space. When we got to Mum & Dad I hugged Sis, T & K in turn while Tess then continued on followed by Jax, then Mum & Dad linked arms on either side of me & walked me the rest of the way to PB (Fi, T & K followed behind).

The celebrant did the giving away – the variety of me not being property to be bought or sold though, & do I come of my own free will & do I come with my families blessing who accompany me today. Next was a bit of a welcome about us & our relationship.

My Sis then read this:
“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free.”


Jax read this:
Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore
Let thy love play upon my voice and rest on my silence.
Let it pass through my heart into all my movements.
Let thy love like stars shine in the darkness of my sleep and dawn in my awakening.
Let it burn in the flame of my desires.
And flow in all current of my own love.
Let me carry thy love in my life as a harp does its music, and give it back to thee at last with my life.

***at this point Paul returned with the video camera!!!! Sis got the vow’s on tape.

Then the formal stuff the celebrant has to say by law, the asking & of course the vows:

I call upon the persons present to witness that I PB, take you CM be my lawful wedded husband. Well, you finally got me Cat, my eternal mate, generous, always considering others before yourself. Thank you for your patience in our journey together as I can be a schmuck at times. You are my greatest supporter no matter how tough the going gets. I will always support you with the same love & strength you have shown me unconditionally. You are kind hearted & you always loved & cared for me not matter what. We have laughed, cried & smiled together throughout our journey through good & hard times. You are always (well, most of the time except when you are watching reality television) interested in what I have to say & do. I cannot imagine my life without you in it. Today, I want to make a promise to you & to myself, in front of our friends & family, present & passed, to love, honor, protect, care & respect you for the rest of my life.

*** of course at the reality television line & I threw my head back & laughed; as did the guests. PB was holding on to me so tightly he cut of the blood circulation in my fingers. I thought I’d be the one who would cry my way through my vows, but surprisingly I didn’t. I did tear up while PB read his vows; he was quite choked up too.

PB, my soul mate, my best friend. You are honest, brave & wise. You are kind hearted & you always love me, no matter what. You make me smile, you stick up for me, you take care of me and you are always (well, most of the time) interested in what I have to say and do. I cannot imagine my life without you in it. Today, I want to make a promise to you and to myself, in front of our friends and family, to love and honor, protect and respect you for the rest of my life.

*** I kind of felt my vows were a bit short in the end. I didn’t think PB would want something too long, so tried to keep it simple for him. He’d had mine to use as a guide, but I had no idea what he was going to say.

Pronounced Husband & Wife! J played John Lee Hookers “Mr Lucky” while we signed our marriage certificate & I quietly slipped on my wedding bands Jax had been wearing (to look after them for the afternoon). Dad did an amazing blessing. I don’t have it in writing yet & must get it from him. My parents are quite religious & while we wanted a non religious ceremony I though having Dad do a blessing would allow them to share their faith in some way. Dad basically said that he hoped our guests would go home with the peace & love in their hearts that PB & I had shared with them today.

Then we had J fire up his guitar playing Stevie Ray Vaughan’s "Mary Had a Little Lamb" as the recessional, as our guests followed us to the other end of the board walk while Peta raced up to the balcony of the surf club to take a group shot.

We did a few family photos on the balcony upstairs & then got down to the business of dinner. The food was fabulous. We had a bit of a Mediterranean BBQ Theme:

Starters:
#Vegetarian mixed Bruschetta
#Antipasto Plates

Mains:
#Charcoal Grilled/BBQ'd Portugese style whole butterflyed chicken
#Charcoal Grilled Greek Lamb
#Charcoal Grilled Beef garlic & red wine marinade

Sides:
#Garlic & Parsley Roasted Kipfler spuds
#Garlic & rosemary roasted pumpkin
#Panzanella Salad
#Potato salad (traditional style)
#Deb's "warming salad"

Desert
#Vahlrona Chocolate Tart
#Lemon & Lime Tart with syllabub
#Pavlova with mixed berries

To be honest, I really didn’t eat a lot. The champagne was good though! I tried to get around & chat to everyone before the band fired up as I knew I would be on the dance floor then! Our band was AWESOME! Richard learned the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" for us. We hadn’t really planned on having a bridal waltz, but had joked about this song with Richard. He played a couple of tunes (I'd already started dancing, but PB was still chatting), then Richard basically announced that it was about time the bride & groom had a dance & fired up Sympathy.

Of course we both just had to dance. At least half our guests joined us. We continued to dance the night away. The Kids went home around 10.30pm during which we managed to do the speeches. Again totally unscripted & simple. Best man welcomed us & did a toast to the bridesmaid/flowergirl. I did most of the thank you’s then PB added on a few. We’ve since watched to footage my sister took & were really happy with the speeches despite lack of writing anything down. Although we did forget to formally thank Tess & G & I felt really bad especially about Tess; but I’ve since given a thankyou gift & card & same for G.

What party is complete without a physical accident? Usually if someone is going to hurt themselves or fall down it’s me. I’d kicked my shoes off first dance & most of the girls did the same & were all dancing in bare feet. K had a black toenail already from another incident & someone trod on the same toe, tearing most of it off. Blood everywhere! Dad did an emergency run to the hospital with K accompanied by T. They were back within 30 minutes, toe disinfected & bandaged, tetanus shot issued. Luckily she was numb with champers so didn’t feel much.

Finally we boarded the bus for the trip home. I instructed my cousins to grab any opened bottles of wine on the tables (as we’d paid for them). The bus driver was lovely & let us stop off at the all night service station for supplies. J played us an acoustic rendition of Killing in the Name of on the way home, completely priceless. We all sung to our hearts content. Not sure if Jules has recovered from the language yet, but it was pretty funny.

We finally made it home & partied on in to the wee hours of the morn. I think I crawled into my bed around 6am. That was how we’d planned it & didn’t worry about that first romantic night together! That was to happen in Port Douglas. Alas no luck then either.

I don’t think I’d change much. There were a few minor details I should have done myself & a few things I shouldn’t have worried about in the first place, but we had such a good time!!!!! So many laughs!! We didn’t stop smiling once we were finally together. I don’t recall having a tired face (champers is good!). We did ourselves proud. We made our commitment formal & had a fabulous meal & sensational party to celebrate with our friends & family.

And if you’ve read this far, well done! I know there is a lot of detail, but I wanted to capture it all for when the memory starts to fade & my brain goes a bit dim. I like to be able to read back over & remember all the little bits & pieces. So, thank you for indulging me.

4 comments:

Ute said...

I think you've managed to capture the whole event wonderfully.

And heh....how many brides and grooms didn't make it to the 'romance' part of their wedding?! Heck, ya got the rest of your lives to make up for it! ;o)

JustJo said...

Just catching up on blogs.... your vows are beutiful and it sounds like a fantastic day! Congratulations!!!

Kate said...

Wow, just got to the end of it all. What a beautiful day. Thank you for sharing! Lovely! :)

Jadey 0:-) said...

What an awesome day you had. It sounds like an awesome celebration of the love you both share and the life you have together.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.